Author Topic: Is there anything special about my car?  (Read 194 times)

Flynn

• Hi There!
Is there anything special about my car?
« on: 29 July, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »
I have a 1996 Nissan Pulsar GTi with the sr18de. It's my first car and my dad says it's quite rare and I can't really find much info on it. I don't really know what's so different about it being a GTi so it'd be great if someone could tell me the difference of it all to the base model or any unique things about it. It's apparently got ABS on a all 4 disc brakes instead of having rear drum brakes but that's all I really know. Hopefully someone could help me out?

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
Re: Is there anything special about my car?
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
Hi, welcome! Good choice of first car - my first car was a 1990 Pulsar GTI.

Your dad is right - they are quite rare now. Most Pulsars have the 1.5L or 1.6L GA15DE or GA16DE engine, yours has the 1.8L SR18DE. It's a different family of engine, much more performance focused and modification friendly than the smaller motors.

As you've already noticed, it's got four wheel disc brakes, it also has a limited slip diff standard, and if it's a manual it has the best set of gear ratios Nissan made for that gearbox family. They have bigger brakes, stiffer suspension, and almost always come standard with bigger 15" wheels. They also have a unique, if not particularly pretty interior, leather shift knob and steering wheel, and electronic climate control.

Flynn

• Hi There!
Re: Is there anything special about my car?
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »
Wow you know your stuff, it's good to get all this info so I get to know my car better. It is manual so I'm glad about the gear ratios. Thank you so much