Author Topic: X1R vs GTI  (Read 157 times)

mist0o

• Hi There!
X1R vs GTI
« on: 09 October, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »
Hello everyone, I was wondering what were the differences between a X1R Pulsar N14 and a GTI would be? I've currently got an X1R and thinking about what advantages other than the engine would come with a GTI.

Thanks for the answers in advance B)

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
Re: X1R vs GTI
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2020, 05:45:22 PM »
gti come with rear discs, only some late model x1r did
GTI have leather interior parts like gear knob, steering wheel and handbrake lever
GTI have a slightly thicker rear sway bar but its still pretty hopeless
GTI have slightly larger front brakes
oddly GTI has a smaller radiator
There are other trim differences but they are the main ones

mist0o

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 12 October, 2020, 07:55:51 PM »
Would it both worth taking GTI brakes from one being parted and sticking em on? And are they different from a Sedan to a Hatch?

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
Rears, not necessarily - unless you're using it on the track, the stock drum brakes are probably better than the discs. The handbrake on the discs is woeful, and they don't do an awful lot with the stock biasing.

For the fronts, don't bother with the N14 GTI brakes. Get the much larger "AD22VF" stamped calipers and rotors off any SR engined N15 or GTIR. Even the 4WD SR18DE SR-Vs have them, and they're much larger than the N14 GTI brakes.

Most importantly of all, buy good brake pads. The difference between Repco/Supercheap own-brand rubbish and a true high performance pad, is the difference between a car that will melt its brakes driving sedately down a moderate hill, and a car that will happily last a twenty minute stint on a race track.

mist0o

• Hi There!
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2020, 09:23:58 PM »
What brand pads would you recommend, itll mostly be for daily driving, but I do drive a lot incl being a pizza boi

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2020, 08:54:50 AM »
just C-Plus from BNT are one of the better cheap pads, stop pretty well and aren't dusty or noisy.

mist0o

• Hi There!
« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2020, 04:43:04 PM »
Can you point me in the right direction of what I should go for new rotors for the AD22VF calipers? I managed to get some but the rotors on the donor car were scuffed so I didnt take them

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:32:57 AM »
Cheap brake rotors are fine - whatever Repco or Supercheap will sell you will do the job perfectly. You're in Christchurch, right? I'd highly recommend going through Import Parts on St Asaph St, they're cheaper and have better service than most of the big brand shops. Just tell them you need 256x26mm GTIR rotors.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
You dont need anything fancy, especially on a car which isnt driven in race conditions. Just go to BNT or Partmaster for them and get the basic type. grooved, slotted or drilled ones are a waste of money for what you are doing.