Author Topic: N14 GA15DS to SR20DE  (Read 1208 times)

Kad

• Hi There!
N14 GA15DS to SR20DE
« on: 27 July, 2020, 07:46:04 PM »
Hello I'm new the group.

So I've seen a couple posts about this
Basically the engine is no more and I'm pulling it out this weekend. and I thought why not swap to a sr20de
Alot what I have read say don't bother ect...
But I'm more wanting to do this to to challenge myself and learn on the way not fussed on if it's a waste of money and what not.

So my question is... is it possible?
Has any one done it?
And what's needed?
Car is a M1 n14 pulsar
I understand that I'll need
all mounts
Engine loom and what I've heard the complete loom to match with whatever is behind the dash and obviously a sr20de ecu
Fuel pump
Will I need to change the front brakes suspension and shafts to fit?
If there's anything else I'm missing please let me know. Basically just wanting to know everything I need so I can tick the boxes. And make a start asap.

Thanks.  :)
« Last Edit: 30 July, 2020, 11:17:46 PM by PulsarGTI »

Guildfire

• NZPPCC Paid Member
Re: N14 GA15DS to SR20DE
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2020, 12:36:53 AM »
Though I may not have much in the way of knowledge into the process of what your asking for here, I can at least answer your first two questions. Yes it can be done. At least two members that I'm aware of have completed this task.  I am currently in possession of a V1 N14 that has been converted and certified by one of our lovely committee members.

Kad

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
Well that's good to know. And that answers that part.
Thank you.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »
From what I've read on this forum, you would be better off buying a junk/de-reg'd  SR powered car,  you will need a large portion of the body wiring loom to match the SR engine harness, plus other bits & bobs.

Kad

• Hi There!
« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Thought as much. I'll keep looking around though
I haven't found a motor or loom, ecu ect.... just yet but not in any rush at all.
Just hoping to gain as much knowledge I can to make the process a bit more simplified. I am aware that it's not a easy job either.

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2020, 11:32:48 PM »
Hello I'm new the group.

So I've seen a couple posts about this
Basically the engine is no more and I'm pulling it out this weekend. and I thought why not swap to a sr20de
Alot what I have read say don't bother ect...
But I'm more wanting to do this to to challenge myself and learn on the way not fussed on if it's a waste of money and what not.

So my question is... is it possible?
Has any one done it?
And what's needed?
Car is a M1 n14 pulsar
I understand that I'll need
all mounts
Engine loom and what I've heard the complete loom to match with whatever is behind the dash and obviously a sr20de ecu
Fuel pump
Will I need to change the front brakes suspension and shafts to fit?
If there's anything else I'm missing please let me know. Basically just wanting to know everything I need so I can tick the boxes. And make a start asap.

Thanks.  :)

Hi Kad, welcome, I've moved your topic to General Discussion. If you choose to become a paid member, you can read through my build thread for the car I converted, but the short of it is it's not a project I'd recommend unless you have an SR powered N14 as a parts car, and have no shortage of free time and mechanical ability.

It is totally doable, but you'll be stripping every single panel out of the interior and all of the front end bodywork to swap the full body loom, removing the front subframe and all of the underbody shielding to swap fuel lines and tanks, and replacing the full exhaust - just to start with. You will need the GTI driveshafts, and you'd be mad to drive it with SR power and the tiny M1 brakes and swaybars.

There are much, much better uses of your time if you genuinely want to learn more - I'd suggest repairing or replacing the GA15DS, which in itself would be an awesome learning opportunity, and buying a GTI or SSS Pulsar/Sentra to replace it. I did my GA-SR swap because I had a full GTI as a parts car, for me that would be an absolute must - it was enough work even with all the parts available to replace, it would be a nightmare to try and source every bit individually.

Kad

• Hi There!
« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2020, 01:42:08 PM »
Oh okay. Thank for that. knowing that may change everything.  Cheers.