Author Topic: Pulsar wheels sitting/pushed back  (Read 337 times)

Pnut

• Hi There!
Pulsar wheels sitting/pushed back
« on: 17 November, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
Long story short my son jumped a curb in his N15 Pulsar pretty hard, popped the front tires and dented the rims. We have put on new rims and tires, visually the suspension arms and bushes dont look bent or damaged, however the wheels are sitting quite far back in the wheel arch  (Im guessing at least back 50mm) and they look to me to have a quite a lot more of negative camber than usual. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Could the whole front subframe have moved back somehow?
« Last Edit: 17 November, 2019, 03:12:25 PM by Pnut »

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
Re: Pulsar wheels sitting/pushed back
« Reply #1 on: 20 November, 2019, 12:35:25 AM »
Most likely the lower control arm is bent. Maybe even the strut. Depending on your level of mechanical knowledge, you may need to take it to a mechanic for inspection & repair.

Pnut

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:41:24 AM »
Most likely the lower control arm is bent. Maybe even the strut. Depending on your level of mechanical knowledge, you may need to take it to a mechanic for inspection & repair.
Yeah i was going to strip it apart this weekend, hoping it is just the control arm.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »
it would be pretty unlikely to be more than the lower control arm. if the shock was bent it wouldn't be able to move up and down without a whole lot of pain and friction! fortunately n15 lower control arms are easy /cheapto get, and easy to replace once you know the trick for removing the lower ball joint.

Pnut

• Hi There!
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »
I pulled the control arms off on the weekend and went to pickapart and compared them with a couple of cars there, as far as i can see there is near to no change in the control arms. I can see a little bit of pain crack on them where there has been some deflection during the impact but not enough to cause any significant permanent change. I have pulled one of the shocks off as well and cant see any real damage either, id rather not have to just randomly swap parts out if i dont need to trying to fix it :/

Someone else suggested to me that the front of these are a little soft, so it is possible the subframe holes have elongated? I cant see any marks where the bolt heads had moved so i dont think this is the case, but will confirm by pulling a couple of the bolts for a good look.

I did notice the centre bar the front and rear engine mounts sit on has had a whack and it is possible the engine is sitting differently, but given the CV joints are there to take up any differences in positions i doubt this will cause any of the effect im seeing.

Any other ideas?

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2019, 12:39:13 AM »
Get a wheel alignment done.