Author Topic: Question - need help  (Read 370 times)

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
Question - need help
« on: 27 December, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »
Hi everyone.

Im back again with questions...

So i changed the pcv on car and still hasnt changed anything with the over revving.
Done a semi service on car -
Oil and filter change,
Radiator flush and new coolent,
Engine flush,
Changed spark plugs - with this number 1 2 and 3 were burnt but nunber 4 was clean.
Stil have a semi over revving happening but not as bad.
Just wondering what would have caused the spark plugs to look burnt?

Ive read something about ignition timing - what should i be looking at?

Any info would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
Re: Question - need help
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that something is wrong with your throttle cable or throttle body - especially as you had it cleaned; cleaning throttle bodies can screw up the sealing properties of the throttle body.
First, try adjusting your throttle cable to get some more slack in the cable. Do this when the engine is up to normal operating temperature.
If that doesn't work, source a second-hand throttle body from pick-a-part, zebra, a wreckers, trademe... any other P11 with the same motor (e.g. SR18DE or SR20DE) will be interchangeable.

Got any pics of the spark plugs?
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:57:55 AM »
You are literally pouring money into this problem (coolant flushes, engine flushes).
Have you tried unplugging the AAC valve yet as suggested? It won't cost you anything to pull out 1 plug!
Here is a link again to it, don't embark on cleaning it just try unplugging it (brown plug in first picture):
https://www.sr20forum.com/sr20de-technical-corner/167600-cleaning-aac-valve-%2Apics%2A.html

Do it while the engine is running and warm. Something should happen when you unplug it. If nothing happens then it's probably not working at all and you have found your problem.

If you can't catch it doing doing the high idle problem when parked, drive around for a while with it unplugged and see if the problem occurs.

My bet is that is is working however, so now on to what I really think the problem is:

Someone has given it a 'tune up' at some stage and advanced the timing without setting the base idle, which will show up the moment the car is put into base timing mode and the revs shoot up.
You need someone with a timing light, a consult adapter and a screw driver to sort this out.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
Did the semi engine service just as when did the radiator change over i didnt flush it. Woops.

So ive added pic of spark plugs..... just to mention my cooling fans are not coming on - car was running for a while and cooling fans didnt come on and have read they should come on around 15 to 20mins of car running and reaching normal temp. Have to put AC on for fans to work. Read that it could be my temp sensor in manifold??
Only just saw the cooling fans arnt working - maybe this is what the guy was meaning when my car went for wof? Have to say engine does get really hot but temp gauge sits at normal.

Gbwelly...... i will look at this - i forgot this was mentioned..

Theres a sound like air is passing in the 2nd pic ive added but cant seem to find where its coming from. Dont think i can add it so will re add it afta this post.

Oh also gbwelly..... i dont think the car has been tuned up?? Sadly lol. BUT am willing to give anything ago to see if can get her back to normal.

Greatly appreciate the info tho. 

Okay.... cant add pic of spark plugs... will figure this out.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
How do i add pics lol?? Says file too big lol

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2018, 08:34:43 PM »
Gbwelly....... i took the brown plug off and engine sort of dropped in rev if that makes sense. Then wen put it back on heard rev pick up. Hope makes sense... what does that mean?

Not sure in how to upload pics but,

Where the aac valve thingy is thats where im hearing air passing - around where the pcv valve hose is but ive replaced the pcv and the hose.

Also when car is hot what should both radiator hoses be like? Both firm firm and extreamly hot?

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #6 on: 29 December, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
Gbwelly....... i took the brown plug off and engine sort of dropped in rev if that makes sense. Then wen put it back on heard rev pick up. Hope makes sense... what does that mean?

Not sure in how to upload pics but,

Where the aac valve thingy is thats where im hearing air passing - around where the pcv valve hose is but ive replaced the pcv and the hose.

Also when car is hot what should both radiator hoses be like? Both firm firm and extreamly hot?
I don't know, I don't go round squeezing hoses, but I can say my fans don't kick in until 92 degrees, so 'extremely hot' would be my expectation.

Good, your AAC valve works.

So....

Consult adapter, timing light, warm up car, put car into base timing mode, make sure timing is set to 15 degrees BTDC, adjust the idle screw to set idle to 800 rpm. I bet your problem will go away.

This is the foundation stuff that needs to be done first, as it mechanically sets the idle so the computer has to do much less work to hit the target idle.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2018, 04:27:32 PM »
Thanks gbwelly. I will look into this.....

Have to say when i unpluged the brown plug it sounded fricking good haha!!! Took her on a longish drive and she drove well - had to use AC tho just to keep her cool cause dont think my cooling fans are working