Author Topic: CHECKING VALVE CLEARANCE ON SR20VE  (Read 1347 times)

20VEZR

CHECKING VALVE CLEARANCE ON SR20VE
« on: 07 December, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »
Anybody know how to check the valve clearance on a p11 sr20ve.  Just running up a fresh build and engine made a liitle bit of tapping noise then dropped a cylinder when vvl switched on.  Appears that shim has jumped out of no4 ex valve and retainer damaged. Guys doing the work arent sure how to measure clearance on hi lift (vvl activated) lobe. We want to get measurements before taking out cams to check real damage.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
Re: CHECKING VALVE CLEARANCE ON SR20VE
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
I've only used clay (read: oily blu-tack) between the piston & valve when assembling the engine to check valve clearances. I'm not sure how you could do it without pulling the head.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

sss4me

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:25:08 PM »

the way to do it is to measure the gap between the shim and the back of the lobe (essentially the cams base circle), record the readings (pic1).

you can do it on the low lobes or push in the centre tab for the hi lobe (pic2) but you need to measure both.

note the clearance's, and compare to the factory clearance (pic3) , if there out, remove the cams, measure the affected shims, and replace with a thicker/ thinner one to suit. replace them. slot the cams back in, and remeasure. hopefully you wont have to do it twice.

little tip, if you get to the low side of factory clearance, you get potentially a quieter valvetrian, more lift, and more duration. lots of guys use 0.2mm intake, 0.32mm exhaust with n1's/oem cams

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
Are you wanting to find out how to check the piston to valve clearance, or the correct settings for measuring the valve clearance to the rockers?
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.