Author Topic: VZR Key inserted switch in ignition/wiring help?  (Read 583 times)

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
VZR Key inserted switch in ignition/wiring help?
« on: 07 November, 2017, 01:59:45 PM »
I have an annoying problem with my VZR which I believe is causing the car alarm to go off. I have traced it to the car reading that the key is still in the ignition. It is characterised by beeping when key is removed and the drivers' door is open, additionally the cabin light doesn't switch on when the key is removed. There was a correlation between this issue and the car alarm false positives developing.

Can anyone offer any advice as to which wires are used to detect the presence of the key in the ignition?
Open to other suggestions if anyone has seen this before.

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
Re: VZR Key inserted switch in ignition/wiring help?
« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
There's a two wire plug on the side of the ignition barrel under the plastic covers, can't remember much more than that but it's not too hard to find. Try just unplugging it, it's possibly shorted out internally?

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
Re: VZR Key inserted switch in ignition/wiring help?
« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2017, 02:50:22 PM »
Thank you for replying, I did discover that plug, and thought it was a good candidate, but unplugging it did not fix the problem. I also tried shorting it in case the key breaks the circuit when inserted. Now I know I'm on the right track I'll follow it back further and see if it is shorted out. Fortunately it came right for a few minutes yesterday, implying something is loose.