Author Topic: Clutch release bearing 32 series box  (Read 1705 times)

scribble

• Like no ones reading it...
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
Clutch release bearing 32 series box
« on: 23 July, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
I did a 16ve to 20ve swap in an N15 a long time ago and at the time a new Exedy Sports Tuff clutch kit was installed.
I recently took the gearbox off to swap it with another and I was swapping over the release bearing and noticed it is 2 pieces. 1 is the ball bearing unit and the other is the shell with the wings/clips that attach to the clutch fork as well as a wavy spring washer.

I read that the bearing shouldn't touch the fingers when the clutch is engaged (i.e normal driving condition) as this would create premature wear from the bearing having to rotate constantly so something seems wrong with the bearing as I don't think it should be seperate parts as that means the bearing isn't held rigid and away from the clutch cover fingers when disengaged.

I did find a couple of small bits of metal in the bottom of the bellhousing when I took the box off so I wonder if that was some part of the bearing unit that held it together but broke at some stage.  The cover was painted pink and it now has circular scratches around the cover, assuming from those bits floating around inside the bellhousing.

Googling "exedy release bearing nissan" show some pics of just the bearing and some of the whole unit with the bearing and shell as a single piece

Should I just buy a replacement release bearing unit?

Edit:  I just checked Trademe and even those show just the bearing, not the shell as well so now I'm really confused
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/nissan/clutches/auction-1373600869.htm

Edit2: The gearbox I'm putting on is from a P11 and it came with a GSB388 bearing but it's crunchy so can't use it. However it's an all in one unit
http://www.aucklandbearings.co.nz/part_images/products/gsb388.jpg
« Last Edit: 23 July, 2017, 01:32:23 PM by scribble »

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
  • 19 years on the same p10.....600+k
Re: Clutch release bearing 32 series box
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Yeah its shot, if it was done at same time as clutch then I'd be surprised if the clutch has much life if the release bearings completely separated. Driving with your foot resting on the pedal will do the same thing as a over tight cable.

Sent from my VF685 using Tapatalk

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1
Fastest di engined Nissan ever 😊

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2017, 11:37:34 AM »
I read that the bearing shouldn't touch the fingers when the clutch is engaged (i.e normal driving condition) as this would create premature wear from the bearing having to rotate constantly so something seems wrong with the bearing as I don't think it should be seperate parts as that means the bearing isn't held rigid and away from the clutch cover fingers when disengaged.

Incorrect - in cars with hydraulic clutches, the slave cylinder is "self adjusting". Meaning that the slave will always "push its piston outwards" even just sitting there. As a consequence the clutch fork will always push the release bearing so it's *just* touching the clutch fingers.

In cable clutch cars it might be a different story, however I'm just saying the bearing slightly touching the fingers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

With respect to your release bearing, it should all be one unit (with the surround, the wings, clips, etc.). If it's in two parts then it's fooked. Buy a new one!

That photo in your first link must just be a generic photo, I imagine that bearing is for a completely different car. SR20 ones should be the type with the wings/clips/etc. attached.

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

scribble

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
I think the old bearing came as just the ball bearing part and since I didn't know any better at the time I modified the winged bearing that was already there, taking out the old ball bearing part and using the winged shell that was left with the new ball bearing part

Anyway I ended up buying a new release bearing to be on the safe side

Interesting what you say about the hydraulic clutch.  The P11 gearbox I bought didn't have a return spring on the lever arm rod (the spring sits inside the bellhousing wrapped around the rod) so I just used it as is when I swapped in the P11 box and converted the N15 to hydraulic.  After I put it all back together I found that the (new) release bearing now randomly rattles whenever the clutch pedal is released due to the bearing still touching the fingers.  I checked the P11 wagon I have that was converted from CVT to manual and its clutch lever arm returns back and pushes the slave cylinder all the way in, so I assume it has the return spring on the lever arm rod.

I looked up in Nissan FAST and it doesn't show a return spring on the hydraulic P11 but does on the cable N15.  I assume this is because you can't really push a cable so it needs a spring at each end were as the hydraulic piston on the clutch pedal sucks the slave cylinder back into the retracted position when the pedal is released.  I also have the P11-144 (UK version) FSM and it shows a return spring being used on the hydraulic clutch.  I still don't know why the P11 wagon I have has a return spring on the lever arm, I can only guess that the gearbox was converted from a cable clutch and whoever did it thought the spring should have been there or maybe the earlier P11 boxes don't have the spring and latter ones do.

I'm not sure what to do from there though, I don't like the rattle sound but I'm not going to pull the gearbox out again just to fit the return spring.  I might just make up an external return spring so it pulls the lever all the way out when the clutch pedal is released.
« Last Edit: 01 August, 2017, 01:35:43 PM by scribble »

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
An external spring will work but the bearing should only make a slight whirring when your foots pressing clutch. If its really rattly then some things not matching up and may never have been ( bits of metal you found ground away from last one) when you reassembled it did you use that lil packet of red grease on the shaft and where bearing runs?

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

scribble

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
It's rattling when the clutch is in its normal state, i.e. clamped up with the pedal released and the bearing not under load
When the bearing is under load it barely makes a sound and yes I greased the input shaft and the snout the bearing rides on
I'll just hook up an external spring and install the correct spring next time I replace the clutch

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
Idk, the only other possible or impossible thing as I'm going off my p10 5spd and n14 boxes is maybe one of the arms on the fork hasn't located properly on bearing perhaps but seems like a fairly full proof kinda deal

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Thats p10 and those tin plates that grab arm could maybe get damaged and rattle? Pics show right out and in positions

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1