Author Topic: Ga15ds to sr20det conversion.  (Read 1624 times)

N14-Pulsar

Ga15ds to sr20det conversion.
« on: 13 June, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »
Hi guys I'm new to this group, but really looking for help.
I have a 1993 Nissan pulsar m1, 3door hatchback, fwd. It has a 4cyl ga15ds carby engine. I want to convert to an sr20det but I can't find info anywhere online regarding this conversion. Will the engine be a direct fit? If not, what mounts do I need and where to get them? As well as the sr20 auto gearbox and possible an awd conversion. Please get back to me asap with questions and answers.

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
Re: Ga15ds to sr20det conversion.
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
First of all, welcome! Good to see some more N14s in the group!

Okay, this is a bit of a mission, so let me preface this with saying you should buy a GTI Pulsar and start there. Otherwise you need this list of parts from a GTI:

All four engine mounts
The entire loom from bumper to bumper
Fuel tank
Fuel pump
Fuel hardlines
Dash cluster
Gearbox
Flywheel (factory auto will not withstand an SR20DET, the manual will be ok provided you leave the boost stock)
Shifter linkages
Power steering lines

You'll also have a car that will have no hope of passing cert with the factory brakes. I've converted a carby N14 to SR20VE before, and there is absolutely no way I would have bothered without a complete crashed GTI donor car. I basically had to strip the carby car down to a bare shell - dash, complete interior, front subframe, and fuel tank all have to come out. It's a horrible job.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
dont forget the wiring looms too (basically the whole front end of the car), and even then if you start with a M1 then you will have horrible interior.

Im with Callum, start with a GTI. There is a part of all of us who want to 'run what you brung' and develop the car you have. You can do this if you want but it is far from the sensible choice.

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
dont forget the wiring looms too (basically the whole front end of the car)

Nah it's worse than that! You need the GTI dash loom, front body loom, and engine loom. You can do what I did - leave the carby rear body loom and add a fuel pump, but that's a PITA. If you're pulling the dash you may as well do the rest of the interior and use the GTI rear body loom as well. You realistically need to change every single wire in the car except the doors and boot!

N14-Pulsar

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2017, 11:33:08 AM »
Okay wow that's quite bit and the gti is quite rare to find a wreck around. I've decided to stick to what I currently have in. But its almost impossible to find performance parts for my current engine unless someone has some knowledge and can point me in the right direction.
You guys have been a great help by the way!

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
  • 19 years on the same p10.....600+k
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:30:52 AM »
I have an n14 gti minus engine and gearbox and a few odd bits I was gunna strip down, part out then cut up and burn so rusts away quicker. There's a full loom except for the 3 wires to 02 are gone for a mates car. Front end was crashed but all the rest is pretty reasonable. By crashed I mean still drivable not like boom destroyed in seconds lol.

Sent from my VF685 using Tapatalk

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1
Fastest di engined Nissan ever 😊

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
I can sort out everything on that list needed except the engine and box. Msg me if you are interested. Cheap as chips too.

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #7 on: 03 July, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
Just re read your post, if you keep the carb engine you'll never get huge numbers but a peppy lil town car, yeah easy. I'd start with exhaust and intake, factory internals should be OK but I'd consider shaving head to up compression, lighten the flywheel, and see how it goes. If you want more than that you'll have to look at head/ flow/ porting etc and cams. After that could look at twin carbs and custom intake which will probably be your biggest gain. Other than that I'm not sure whether you'll get much more without serious work and $$ at a machine shop to gain a fraction more and keep it all motor. If you wanted to boost you 15, I think it'd be easier to go the 20det rd. Converting a non turbo to turbo is a much bigger and more costly job for virtually no extra gain over a factory turboed engine.

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1