Author Topic: Converting Factory Halogens to Xenon HID on a P12  (Read 2896 times)

01p12

Converting Factory Halogens to Xenon HID on a P12
« on: 18 May, 2017, 06:46:20 PM »
So as the title says, I'm trying to find out whether or not its doable to replace the factory halogens in a 2001 P12 wagon with the Factory HID units. Can this be done relatively easily? If anyone has done it I'd appreciate your input. Don't really want to do a conversion kit though since its illegal.

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
  • 19 years on the same p10.....600+k
Re: Converting Factory Halogens to Xenon HID on a P12
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »
Do p12s have factory hid? If they come factory I would imagine they would simply need 12v to the ballast. Maybe a different plug on the light lead?

Sent from my VF685 using Tapatalk

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1
Fastest di engined Nissan ever 😊

01p12

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2017, 05:23:30 AM »
Do p12s have factory hid? If they come factory I would imagine they would simply need 12v to the ballast. Maybe a different plug on the light lead?

Yep. Mine is base spec so it came with halogens rather than HID. Thing is though, I've had a look at the service manual and the fuses are different for the HID equipped P12s.
« Last Edit: 19 May, 2017, 05:26:57 AM by 01p12 »

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2017, 07:40:45 AM »
That would make sense as hid lamps have a high start up draw. They may run a heavier wire but that's assuming. If it was me I'd probably ditch the factory light loom and run a separate fuse, relays etc.  Do the factory units have the ballast at the bulb? If they don't that might be the issue. If ballasts are under dash they will no doubt have some heavier wiring to match the bigger fuse. I looked into hids for off roader but cost, lifespan, durability and availability led me down the led path. Better on all counts in my mind. Nissans have always had pretty good lights and heaters. What's your reason for wanting to go hid? I know they're bright as shit but get hot and chew thru a battery pretty quick compared to led.

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

01p12

« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
That would make sense as hid lamps have a high start up draw. They may run a heavier wire but that's assuming. If it was me I'd probably ditch the factory light loom and run a separate fuse, relays etc.  Do the factory units have the ballast at the bulb? If they don't that might be the issue. If ballasts are under dash they will no doubt have some heavier wiring to match the bigger fuse. I looked into hids for off roader but cost, lifespan, durability and availability led me down the led path. Better on all counts in my mind. Nissans have always had pretty good lights and heaters. What's your reason for wanting to go hid? I know they're bright as shit but get hot and chew thru a battery pretty quick compared to led.

Well, they just seem to be pretty weak to me. My dad has a 2003 camry with bog standard halogens, and they seem way brighter than my Primeras. Its pretty dark by the time I get off work so I would like to have some decent lights. I've also replaced both bulbs with new ones and its no different. Funny you mention LEDs actually, I was looking at those too. I guess you can't just stick LED bulbs right in, you have to get a conversion kit? Philips 6000k LED bulbs look nice, just not sure if you need a conversion kit for them.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2017, 11:13:04 PM »
How clear are your headlight lenses? The P12 headlights are really susceptible to going opaque from UV damage.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

01p12

« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2017, 11:19:22 PM »
How clear are your headlight lenses? The P12 headlights are really susceptible to going opaque from UV damage.

Actually they were pretty yellow when I got the car but I wet sanded them and re-clearcoated them so that they were clear again. There is a bit of orange peeling there though, would that really affect light quality so much?

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »
Oh yeah those plastic lenses are shocking, mines p10 so glass but if you've cut and polished them they a little discoloration doesn't change much as far as light intensity.

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2017, 07:45:40 AM »
Actually they were pretty yellow when I got the car but I wet sanded them and re-clearcoated them so that they were clear again. There is a bit of orange peeling there though, would that really affect light quality so much?

Probably not that much, seeing as you've already wet sanded them. Have you tried brighter halogens? I've found the Narva arctic plus 50's to be a good upgrade, not as good as the Xenons in my beemer but well worth the $90.

01p12

« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2017, 09:51:35 AM »

Probably not that much, seeing as you've already wet sanded them. Have you tried brighter halogens? I've found the Narva arctic plus 50's to be a good upgrade, not as good as the Xenons in my beemer but well worth the $90.

I wanted to go for Narvas, but unfortunately the Primera doesn't use the usual retaining clip system for headlight bulbs, its got this weird L-shape bulb connector so Supercheap had a pretty limited range for those types. I had to go for their store brand bulbs, that was the only one available in the shape I needed. Unless there is a way to physically remove the bulb from the connector (I tried, but it got to the point where it felt like if I pulled any harder I'd be going to A&E to have glass removed from my hands lol). I have ordered a LED conversion kit though, from Stedi Australia, so hopefully they'll give me some better light.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: 20 May, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »
Cool, that sounds like a good plan :-)

01p12

« Reply #11 on: 20 May, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
Cool, that sounds like a good plan :-)

yep, do you know if those kits also cover the high beams as well?

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: 20 May, 2017, 10:22:04 AM »
I don't know, sorry

Brotangp104lyf

• Here for the food
« Reply #13 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »
Ya gotta watch those super cheap guys, my mum asked me to look at her lights one time as she had super cheap attendant select and install them for her. Idiots gave her 24v bulbs! LEDs are so well developed now there's nothing much better.

91 p10 x3
P11 x2
Aviner turbo x1
Wrecked n14x1

01p12

« Reply #14 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Ya gotta watch those super cheap guys, my mum asked me to look at her lights one time as she had super cheap attendant select and install them for her. Idiots gave her 24v bulbs! LEDs are so well developed now there's nothing much better.

Haha too right. I always install things myself wherever possible :)