Author Topic: Wifi Extender  (Read 1481 times)

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
Wifi Extender
« on: 19 July, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
Kinda following on from the below thread,

The Vodafone wifi router is in the extreme corner of my house where the fiber connection comes in,
At the other down stairs corner of my house the signal is very weak to not at all.

I was just wondering of peoples opinions on products out there that may help,

Im not apposed to running a Ethernet cable to another location as i have most of a box of cat 5 lying round and my mate works for a cabling company.

I tried an old set of the plug into the mains ones and couldn't figure out how to get them to work but maybe they were broken

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
Re: Wifi Extender
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2016, 03:22:39 PM »
What is your router model? Some of them have the ability to add an extender using WDS.

If you only have one phase in your house then it might be worth pursuing the power line networking, and stick another wifi access point at the remote end. In this configuration when you walk from one end of the house your device will disconnect from one network and connect to the other. If you can use WDS the device will hand over back and forth and you wont have two separate wifi networks running.

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »
YES that is what i wanted to say but wouldn't thinking of the wording,  Would really like to avoid the whole swapping back in forth thing,

I'll remember to get router info tonight,  Its a huawai vodafone one, 

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:41:45 PM »
99% sure its one of these
Huawei HG659

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
I also have 1 more of those as a spare for some reason vodafone keep sending them to me and i was pissed off at them so never sent them back,  Had 5 modem/routers at one stage 3 VDSL/Fiber ones and 2 ADSL ones,

Given most of them away now,

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Maybe one of these would work?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/networking-modems/wireless-networking/routers/auction-1124250797.htm
I generally avoid recommending anything I haven't setup myself successfully in the past though, so no guarantees.

speedo

« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2017, 08:19:54 AM »
I use TP-LINK extender. That's a chinese producent. I works quite nice and is really cheap onlinepreview. Nice work! How long do you already play in DB?
« Last Edit: 05 May, 2019, 10:46:50 PM by speedo »
To want to, is to be able to.