Author Topic: steering rack adjustment  (Read 1778 times)

Lee93

• Unpaid Subs Members
steering rack adjustment
« on: 13 March, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
so my p11 has play in the drivers side of the steering rack, any advice on how to adjust it? preferably without removal, yes i have searched but to no avail
cheers

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
Re: steering rack adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »
Is the play in the inner rack end, outer tie rod or actually inside the rack?

Lee93

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:40:16 PM »
in the rack itself  :-\

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2016, 10:47:03 PM »
There is adjustment that can be done, I've had it done before on my old P11. Didn't see it tho.

pandap10

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
Someone correct me but if its like the P10s theres a large lock nut by the steering input shaft, from underneath i think and a 10mm adjusting nut in the centre.  Loosen the large nut, tighten the adjusting nut until play is gone.  That adjusts the clearance/preload against the actual rack and pinion.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:47:59 PM »
I believe you are correct.

Lee93

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:48:40 PM »
i got it sorted in the end, ended up taking the mount brackets off and was able to move it enough to get a 1/2" ratchet into the adjusting screw
i think its supposed to be for an allan key but 1/2" works well enough

dukenukem

• Hi There!
« Reply #7 on: 29 February, 2020, 07:50:07 PM »
I replied to this topic, because I have a similar issue. Primera P11 with a loose steering rack. There is too much clearance inside the assembly so the rack itself can move in and out slightly (causing slight play on the front wheels). I had a go at trying to adjust it myself, but I had great difficulty getting a socket on the adjusting nut. I tried to bodge a solution but I just couldn't get the nut undone.

The vehicle is otherwise OK, but I don't really want to change the whole power steering assembly. I don't trust ones from wreckers as they have likely done high Kms and might have a leak. Taking the car to a power steering place will cost a fortune.

Anyone got any hints. Or can someone recommend a mechanic in the Auckland area who is familiar with P11 Power steering and could do this job ?

I tried loosening the mounting brackets and that helped the clearance a bit, but I still couldn't get the nut undone, must be super tight and it's in an extremely awkward location. Thanks for any help !
« Last Edit: 29 February, 2020, 07:52:59 PM by dukenukem »