Author Topic: Car tuning  (Read 6402 times)

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
Re: Car tuning
« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2016, 10:01:42 AM »
I think Lance is meaning that he didn't buy his link from the tuner he went to.

But I was more just making a point that a tuner would do that to try and get a sale.

Also Lance, didn't troy (your tuner) tell you to get a link, it was was only his bad luck that you bought elsewhere and he didn't get the sale? Haha

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
« Reply #31 on: 10 April, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
It was was only his bad luck that you bought elsewhere and he didn't get the sale? Haha

Straight up told him I wasn't gonna buy it off him, and of my intentions to wire it in myself. Lifetime manufacturer's warranty + commodity product with little configuration required means you can buy it from anywhere (i.e. the absolute cheapest) and get exactly the same product and support.

Also, just prospecting here, im not sure barometric pressure has as much of an impact here as in other countries. Our country is exceptionally flat really (in altitude), and we dont have vast swings in weather where we go from 45 degrees to -45 degrees.

When you drive from Wellington up to the carpark at the top of Mt. Ruapehu, you climp to an altitude of 0m to 1600m above sea level. at 1600m, the barometric pressure is about 85kPa, or 85% of pressure at sea level. To me, that's a decent change in pressure, and not exactly "flat".
>inb4 "how many times are you gonna drive to Mt Ruapehu"

Anyway that argument isn't very important since you would likely tune off MAF with the NEMU :)

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

Hungry

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: 12 April, 2016, 06:23:10 PM »
A side note:

STMs tuner (Chris), who is a very reputable tuner that i would highly recommend, is leaving within a month or so. So all the tuners who helped STM build their  good reputation have left or are leaving. So before you go to them - figure out who will be tuning your car as they have not found another one yet.

He will be tuning in Tauranga in the future.  - So for you guys up the top half of the island, you will have another good option for tuning.

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
« Reply #33 on: 12 April, 2016, 10:42:51 PM »
STMs tuner (Chris), who is a very reputable tuner that i would highly recommend, is leaving within a month or so. So all the tuners who helped STM build their  good reputation have left or are leaving. So before you go to them - figure out who will be tuning your car as they have not found another one yet.

:(

I guess that's why STM just posted an ad saying they're hiring a new tuner and a new technician.

Still, they've got a reputation to uphold. Almost like a self fulfilling prophecy in the sense that starting with a good reputation can't be any worse than starting with no reputation at all.

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

Hungry

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: 13 April, 2016, 09:20:41 PM »
I believe there is a common reason for the guys to be leaving, but i will leave it at that.

Chris should be doing a touch up on my car before he leaves ( i hope!)

gtircrazy

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #35 on: 27 April, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
Personally i have had experience with Motec, Link and a lot of daughter board ECU's.

Motec ECU was a pain... everything costs, you have to pay to unlock features and then pay more... or did i mention pay more? Other ECU manufactures have caught up though thank goodness, so i would now look else were. Helltech are looking good at the moment.

The Link G4 is ok, i have one fitted in one of my Gti-rs at the moment, packed with features and the fact you can buy a plug and play kit makes this such a sweet option, next to no wiring required. everyone knows how to tune them as well.

Daughter boards, well personally i think there great, so cheap and you can get just about any early 90's nissan set up to work just as well on them as you can with an aftermarket unit.  I've had Paul (alien probe) tune all my cars over the last 12 years!! He's never done me wrong. He currently has a 2wd dyno which soon will be based out of Pokeno inbetween auckland and Hamilton. We've seen great results over the years from all my cars he has tuned which have ranged in make and model.

People can debate on different ecu's/software ect but at the end of the day it all comes down to the tuner, and there knowledge has to expand further than just software and getting the timing maps and fuel mixtures correct. Often no matter how tu-meke flash you think you are as a home mechanic there are issues with the cars which have to be resolved before the tuning can even begin.

Need work done on your car? Call MSM Automotive (09) 579 0828. - Best in the mechanical busness!