Author Topic: How knows about speed cameras.  (Read 1951 times)

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
How knows about speed cameras.
« on: 14 April, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
This morning as I was traveling to work approx 6:20am in a 70km/hour zone i past a speed camera. I was stuck behind traffic doing about 60km/h maybe 65 absolute max. Yet I noticed the speed camera flashed for both the car in front of me and also when I pasted it.

Do they photograph every car and just ticket the ones over the limit?
I figured they would only photograph the ones over the limit.

One other thing I thought may have been possible was that it could of been light reflecting back from my head lights off the lens. But it didn't really have that look to it.

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
Re: How knows about speed cameras.
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
Sometimes they flash every car that goes past. Maybe they're checking WOF/REG, who knows

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:04:19 AM »
Was it one of the "traffic safety camera" vans?  They have ANPR (automagic number plate recognition) to perform wof, rego and stolen vehicle checks.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

unlimitedpower

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »
No it was just a silver van of some kind. Didnt actually pay attention to it's make was more looking at the camera unit in it
Hope I don't get a fine for no rego. It's all paid up but hasn't arrived in my mail box yet. So it's not on the car.
Should be in the system by now though.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2015, 07:29:54 AM »
I thought their flashes were infrared so you couldn't see them. I reckon it would have just been a reflection

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
I thought their flashes were infrared so you couldn't see them. I reckon it would have just been a reflection

No no, I've seen the flashes before as well, from "unmarked" Hyundai iLoads.

Perhaps every single time they read your speed they do that, and all the times you don't see it, well the guy inside was probably having a cig.

I prefer the automatic number plate recognition conjecture however.

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

p11draco-u13

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2015, 06:55:41 PM »
Was it one of the "traffic safety camera" vans?  They have ANPR (automagic number plate recognition) to perform wof, rego and stolen vehicle checks.

It was most likely one of these, speed cameras do speed only and trigger flash only when speeder needs to be photographed.

my guess.  it didnt just read your plate. more like read the expired rego. high definition camera, latest software enhancements. it can read your reg in the windscreen. only other option. it read the plate and your rego wasnt yet in the system. but my guess.. it read the expired rego in the windscreen...

however. a cross check should be done due to the delay between registration online and recieving the sticker thing to display in the window.
which is by the way how the law is worded now "failure to display current registration certificate." we have continuous licensing for vehicles so its not that your rego is or was expired, it is that you werent displaying a current sticker, not that you were not registered and as much as it sucks. you can by the way the law is worded be fined for not displaying the sticker when the cars registration is paid up. if they so chose to be ass wipes. which is why online they recommend buying registration online before it has expired.

robbo

• Part of the furniture
  • First Turbo P12 20V
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »
^^^^
Um most of the above is incorrect sorry. But I'm not going to go into what is or isn't as my employer (POLICE) might not be too happy about it being discussed in an open forum.

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2015, 08:11:05 AM »
Haha imagine if those camera's could read the expired rego sticker...