Author Topic: Feedback wanted: Forum improvements  (Read 3324 times)

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
Feedback wanted: Forum improvements
« on: 12 March, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
What would you like to see changed about the forum, that would make it more useful to you?

I'm already working on the Facebook integration, think more along the lines of the forum structure, layout, etc.

If you want to make suggestions regarding Tapatalk specifically, please go to this thread

Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
Re: Feedback wanted: Forum improvements
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »
I like the current layout of forum, much better than other forums I have tried.
I like the idea of tapatalk, however it is new to me and I struggle with it, just a matter of learning.
Personally I always preferred forum, until my laptop died and it is far easier to justice Facebook. Everyone is set-up on Facebook and most people have notifications pop up immediately, resulting in fast responses, this is the biggest advantage I see Facebook having.
Perhaps having some way of reducing the response time within the forum may improve its usage.
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: 12 March, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
Do you find it slow to load pages?  If so, how does it compare with, say, SR20-forum.com and motorsport.org.nz?

robbo

• Part of the furniture
  • First Turbo P12 20V
« Reply #3 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
I've never had an issue with it

Everything works as it should. You can get notifications from Tapatalk if you have the right notifications set up on the forum, ie when someone list something on the buy and sell bit, so I don't see that as an issue

I use the forum at home, work and was using it on my phone till I started using Tapatalk.

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
« Reply #4 on: 12 March, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »
No I think it loads fine, just people seem to respond faster through Facebook. Most likely because most of us have notifications pop up instantly from Facebook, whereas I  received no notification that you guys had just replied here.... Might need to change some settings on my end :-P

Psynneckt

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Here for the food
  • Sup homies!
« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
Finally figured out how to post a new thread with tapatalk. I see there is an option to see notifications from "all posts"  but when I try to select the forum nothing happens. Ideas?
It's Movember all year round.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: 12 March, 2015, 05:37:13 PM »
All good Brandon.

I've now added a Facebook "like" button which appears in the first post of a thread.  There is another Facebook add-in to link your profiles, but this is currently awaiting an update to suit the current forum software version.

Hungry

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: 12 March, 2015, 06:52:25 PM »
i reckon if there were a whole heap more tech articles (even for basic things ) that get asked all the time it would be better, i find it a lot easier to ask on facebook than trawling though old threads.

it seems to be a whole lot of the same questions asked over and over again ( heaps to do with resetting abs / airbag lights etc)

its also good so if i ask a really dumb question, its forgotten about pretty quick :)

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
« Reply #8 on: 12 March, 2015, 07:40:52 PM »
Is there a setting somewhere that automatically subscribes me to a thread once I've posted in it? Or do I have to click the subscribe button so I ensure I see replies?

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
Is there a setting somewhere that automatically subscribes me to a thread once I've posted in it? Or do I have to click the subscribe button so I ensure I see replies?

Yes, if you go into "Profile" and then select "Notifications" you will see the option there to turn it on.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: 12 March, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »
i reckon if there were a whole heap more tech articles (even for basic things ) that get asked all the time it would be better, i find it a lot easier to ask on facebook than trawling though old threads.

Totally agree Wade.  We need people who can write this content though - "somebody" isn't going to do it.  If you want to contribute with one or more tech articles it would be most appreciated!

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: 12 March, 2015, 11:40:52 PM »
I've made a couple more changes to the forum, let us know what you think of these features:

1. ACTIVITY NOTIFICATIONS: You'll get a notification box that shows up for 5sec in the top right corner when you get a PM, are quoted, etc.  It's kind of like the pop-ups that you get at the bottom-left of a Facebook page, or an Outlook email notification.

2. EXTRA PROFILE INFO: You can now add your Facebook, Twitter and Youtube profiles in your account.  These appear as small icons under your user details in the left side of a post, and... that's about it.  In my profile, I put my Facebook username as "groups/NZPPCC", which means this icon now links to the club Facebook page.
Hopefully there's more functionality with this feature in the near future.

3. Clicking on your username in the top right of the page now takes you to your profile.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2015, 12:52:07 AM »
How about the feature when you hover your mouse over a topic  a preview shows up of the start of the topic. It's a feature on other forums I visit.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2015, 08:45:51 AM »
I'm aware that you've asked for this before Bevan, but there isn't a suitable plugin for our version of forum software that provides a message preview when you hover your mouse over the topic.

fscdtdan

« Reply #14 on: 13 March, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »
Whatever g20.net uses for mobile users is good. As far as tech articles go, at least all the most commonly asked oned should be stickied or have a section of their own. Also, an online shop to buy stickers & shirts etc as well as paying subs (which I will do next week )

MPGH.net uses a 'thanks' system similar to likes, and on the side of each post, a thank count is shown under the username. It gives an incentive for people to contribute to the forum, certainly worked, go have a look!

Sorry if this is laid out funny, i'm trying tapatalk on my phone haha.

Dan