Author Topic: My P10 Primera, and the car madness that led me here today:)  (Read 5247 times)

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
My P10 Primera, and the car madness that led me here today:)
« on: 15 January, 2013, 12:14:27 AM »

Hey everyone, since you guys and girls voted me in as Club President I thought it would be good to post up a introduction of myself and my car obsession:) My real name is Darryl Stokes for those that only know me by my forum name.

I feel that the club has given a lot to me, and I'm really looking forward to giving as much back to the club in the coming year.

Ive taken on a role of Club Tuner, done quite a few club cars and a number of others now, I find this really interesting, and of course have done all my own tuning since. I think I propped up Torque Performances bank account pretty well for while.

I started the road to car madness at the tender age of 16, with my 1st car, 1970 Datsun 1200 Coupe.

I was the only kid at school with a half cage in their car, had side draft Dellorto dual carbs, extractors and a 2" exhaust.  I think I really cut my teeth on this car playing around with things, being a older car it needed a bit of maintenance. 

2nd car was also a 1200 Coupe, but didnt manage to keep any pics of that one:(

From there it was,

1981 Mazda Rx7 S2 NZ new

Datsun 1600 sedan
Fraser Clubman

Nissan NX-R (more about this one soon )
Holden Commonhore Ute
Mazda B2000 Ute
UKGT P10 (Soon had a VE and 5 speed), my 1st Primera.

P10 Parts Car
R3spect, my current car
P11 T4 Camino

1978 Datsun Cherry 120a FII

"Moldy" My green P10 daily

W10 Avenir 4wd wagon
1991 MX5
94 GTI Pulsar
N15 Pulsar Autech

EVLNXR

This car I owned for 9 years, and it certainly went through a lot in that time.

Started out as a stock NZ new (Aust assembled) car.  I got it when it was 6 years old for $6000, new price was $45000. 

I was looking for a 1600 hatch, maybe a FXGT Corrolla at the time, but when this mighty car came up with a Sr20de engine, I was hooked.  Used the car for a while as a general daily along with my Fraser Clubman as my fun car.  When the Fraser moved along to a new home, the transformation on the NXR began.

Couldn't find any pics of it when it was stock, but this was the 1st turbo setup, a U12 Sr20det engine, stock as a rock with a old school link ecu.

This netted a ground shaking 130kw atw, but a bucket load of torque, and brilliant fuel economy.

From there the car got bigger turbo(s), bigger intercooler, bigger injectors, GTIR head, custom manifold, 3" exhaust, more boost, and ended up with the engine bay looking like this.

All of this ended up with 290kw at the front wheels (over 400hp), and a low 12 sec quarter mile time slip.

For some strange and unknown reason, I then decided to try my hand at the NA game, and got a P12 20v Wagon, and a P12 20v engine and gearbox for the NXR.

The P12 Wagon was a amazing car, and i would still love to own another one day, although a turbo would be required lol.  This car came from Japan with a nice set of 18" wheels, coilovers, and on the dyno managed to crank 128kw atw on its 1st run, with only a K & N pad filter in the stock airbox. This car also managed to not suffer the big power dip that all the other club 20v's have suffered on the dyno, always wondered if someone had fiddled the ecu in Japan given some of the other mods.

The 20v engine was a interesting exercise, but ultimately frustrating.  Started off with 123kw atw, and got it up to 140kw atw, but after having a 290kw turbo car I think i lost the love for the poor little beast and it was time to move on.  Having 2 seats didnt help. A P10 was called for.

Enter R3spct.

I found this car on Trademe for $800 with a serious rod knock, but had a W11 Sr20det engine already sitting in the garage, 2 days later it was on the road. Complete with 3 different brand 195 60 14 Chinese tires, stock brakes with crap pads, and the turbo downpipe welded to the stock P10 exhaust.  This was a great little fun car to drive even with the rubbish tires. But as usual, the modification process began.

Since then its had a 2.5 inch exhaust, bigger intercooler, GTIR turbo, 440cc STI injectors, z32 maf. Then i did a bit of a rebuild, high mount steam pipe manifold, VE head, N1 Intake, 6 Speed 20v trans with Helical LSD.  I didnt like this setup, something wasnt quite working and was holding back power, so went to a new Garrett turbo, low mount manifold, smaller VE cams and a full 3" exhaust.

Ive also been lucky to get some UK P10 taillights, Nismo grill, BC coilovers, W10 Twinpot brakes.  These items give the car a lot of character, and i still love driving it :)

I havent dyno'd this setup yet, but I'm thinking and hoping it should be around 230 fwkw. 

Looking forward to another trackday as the little beast hasnt been out on the track for a couple of years due to family commitments. I used to do a lot of drag racing, but TBH I got sick of the long drive and the standing around, track days are a lot more fun, but drag days are a bit cheaper and easier.
« Last Edit: 15 January, 2013, 10:16:49 PM by R3SPCT »

robbo

• Part of the furniture
  • First Turbo P12 20V
Re: My P10 Primera, and the car madness that led me here today:)
« Reply #1 on: 15 January, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
Such a good insight into your "car life" Darryl.

Would have loved to have seen both the NXR and the Fraser in the flesh. Oh and you 20V.

You skills never cease to amaze me.

Morcs

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
What happened to the motor out of the nxr if you put a 20v in it?

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2013, 06:33:41 PM »
Sold it on Trademe to someone from Wellington i think.  Got ok money for it, but wish i had kept and spent money on it that i spent on the 20v engine. 

Always did wonder what happened to it.

4rch3r

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2013, 03:53:52 PM »

4rch3r

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
When the engine swap was done, the cams in the 20V engine (20V low, N1 high) went into the P11 VE engine which is still in the NX-R. As for the 20V engine... Well it is sitting in the garage down-stairs next to my stripped S13... Contemplating going for the 300hp NA setup in a RWD or whacking a turbo on it ;) But for the time being, the chassis is being prepared!

Xx_jess_xX

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2013, 04:13:38 PM »
what is the grill on that p11 camino?
..little miss innocent..

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
Came with the car, i wasnt a big fan of it myself, might have been some odd Nismo item, but was pretty flimsy plastic.

MissMizzy

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »
Looking good Daz  :)

Xx_jess_xX

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
Came with the car, i wasnt a big fan of it myself, might have been some odd Nismo item, but was pretty flimsy plastic.

oh okay looks like the one i have currently lol but its not flimsy,
..little miss innocent..

T4Manual1

« Reply #10 on: 23 February, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
hey man how did you go about your oil filter relocation kit on the p10 having a bit of trouble with mine. and wow you've had some cool cars man.

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »
I used a VE style oil filter housing, with a adaptor fitted in place of filter.  Im not totally happy with the setup as the hoses are a long way from the block and could potenitally have a lot of leverage and with movement could break something.  There is a company in USA that makes a machined block to replace the housing altogether but not cheap.