Author Topic: daughterboard tune  (Read 1386 times)

JasoP11

• Unpaid Subs Members
daughterboard tune
« on: 17 November, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
Is it possible to tune a daughterboard to run a sr20ve + T, im wanting to do a turbo conversion but i dont want to pay 1 million dollars for a link

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
Re: daughterboard tune
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
It is possible and regularly done but a Link doesn't cost 1 million dollars. More like $1800  :P

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
It is possible and regularly done but a Link doesn't cost 1 million dollars. More like $1800  :P
Yea but then you have to buy boost solenoid, IAT sensor, and then pay $1000+ to get it tuned :p
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
Maths tells me that's still orders of magnitude below one million dollars  :P

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2012, 12:12:32 PM »
well played good sir, well played  :P lol
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
Odd, thought i had replied to this thread.

I think for value a daughter board is great for your average turbo setup.  Sure you can use Link for boost control, but then you need a external switch or laptop to adjust boost, a normal boost controller is way easier.

Mafs dont limit power, so no advantage there.  Your Nissan ecu is designed to run the engine, it has all sorts of compensations and programs in it to suit your engine, fitting a daughter board is only retuning the aspects that have been changed.  If you get a link, you have a empty brain, everything needs tuning from scratch, cold start, accel enrich.

A flash ecu wont make the car make more power, i heard about a 2.0ve pulsar that had a link fitted, and it only made 130ish kw atw with N1 cams and intake, it prob wasnt the ecu holding it back, but a stock one with a daughter board would have given the same power for less than 1/4 the cost IMHO.

rug10

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
I second Daryl and I have a link g4 with a sr20ve+t. Flick me a txt an ill ring ya and tell ya about it. 0272053934

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
To the thread starter, if you want an ECU that controls the boost, and therefore allows safety controls for boost to be built into the tune (e.g. lower boost when cold, cut boost after detecting knock) then a daughterboard can't do that.  I've bought lots of different things for my car, and I still consider the Link ECU to be the best value-for-money item I bought.

A flash ecu wont make the car make more power, i heard about a 2.0ve pulsar that had a link fitted, and it only made 130ish kw atw with N1 cams and intake, it prob wasnt the ecu holding it back, but a stock one with a daughter board would have given the same power for less than 1/4 the cost IMHO.

If your only goal with a tune is to make maximum power, you're doing it wrong.  To use that example as a measure of "Links are no better than daughterboards" is bull, as it was an N1 Pulsar and you can't daughterboard them.  That particular car may not have the power it should, but that was more a function of the unmodified Fujitsubos.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »
In a 130kw NA car, a link is a lot of money to spend.  In a turbo car, the link makes a lot more sense.

Prob one of the biggest disadvantages with a Daughter board is the lack of ability for the owner to tune it themselves.

rug10

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: 19 November, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
my link is so so handy and definitely the best think i brought too. but a daughter board will get it going quite well and safely too and cost less

i paid for somone to tune mine and set some of it up and i brought a iat sensor and boost controler and with tune it cost around 3k.

the link software is so easy to use and adjust the boost too. easy to learn and navigate, with far to many capabilities to state

JasoP11

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2012, 12:02:26 AM »
I'm not wanting to run massive boost through standard internals, i can get a boost controller and manually adjust the boost when the engine is cold but i tend to warm my engine up before i drive anywhere anyway. I'm not trying to get max power i just want more of a kick at times, the n/a 2.0l engines seem to lack any power from what i am used to (i used to have a 3.0l a32 cefiro) the other choice if the daughterboard didn't work was putting a 3.0l maxima v6 in. I'm not wanting to spend money that will out value the car.

rug10

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2012, 06:46:47 AM »
Sounds like u want a daughter board. Run a tial Mvs wastegate with a 4psi spring then tune that as ur low end and a gtir turbo will be perfect for what ur after.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #12 on: 20 November, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
Is your car CVT / Auto?  Before you spend any money, get a sense of what a lightly tuned VE will do... P11's like NOIZEE, W1NKIE and REVVVL would pull away comfortably from an A32
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

JasoP11

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #13 on: 20 November, 2012, 05:52:36 PM »
I've got a manual p11 wagon with a SR20ve with SR16ve flywheel and gearbox, it has been tuned by Darryl using a daughterboard.