Author Topic: Air flow meters  (Read 316 times)

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
Air flow meters
« on: 26 March, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
I hear a lot of people changing around air flow meters. Can someone please give me a run down on inter-compatiability? Does the computer need to be calibrated to a particular meter or do they all provide the same output for a given flow of air?

We would be looking for one for the p11 SR20VE and the more flow the better.

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
Re: Air flow meters
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
ecu needs to be re-calibrated, best is probably z32 or vh41 as they flow up to 500hp. although that may be a little extravagant, otherwise rb25 (purple sticker) are good for about 300-350 i think
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

Brandon

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
i think darryl might have had a vh41 afm for sale
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
Are the new calibration figures readily available or do I have to work them out myself? The car will be getting a daughterboard but not straight away, we will get it in and running first. We dont have an AFM yet so when I get one I want to get one suitable for the engine.

Expected engine setup:
~ SR20VE p11 model
~ N1 Cams
~ 370cc injectors
~ STD bottom end
~ STD intake but with cold air box
~ exhaust headers and 2.5" side exit
~ Daughterboard

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
You'll need to get a daughterboard and tune to run the different afm. If you get one that's plug and play and tested good and working you can just swap it in immediately before the tune along with any different piping etc but you won't be able to just drive around without tuning it first.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Hmm. In that case is there anyone down south that could loan a P11 SR20VE AFM to me for while I am still running stock?

Are there any recommendations on what airflow meters would be suitable for this engine, or would the stock one still be suitable?

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
Personally I think you'll be fine with the stock VE AFM. If you upgrade the intake manifold which is a bottleneck to top end power you should definitely upgrade the AFM or go to a MAP standalone to do away with it completely. What headers are you planning on going with?

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I dont know on the headers yet. Are DE ones suitable for the VE or do I need to look for specific headers for the VE engine. I have been advised that Race-Evo ones are the goods, and that Fujitsu or Impul ones are also good. I have yet to find any of these around

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
A ve AFM should be more than good enough for a well tuned engine, they are as good as a rb25 maf from a flow point of view, sometimes better.