Author Topic: GA16DE to SR20DET Swap  (Read 47 times)

PandaNZ

• Hi There!
GA16DE to SR20DET Swap
« on: 04 August, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »
Hey all!, i'm new to NZPPCC and i'm glad i found out about it :)

I have a 1992 N14 X1R with a GA16DE Manuel. One day im wanting to squash a SR20 in there.......im just wondering how realistic this is?, what gearbox would i use? Has anyone had any experience in this conversion before???

Also at the same time im considering turbocharging my GA16DE, has anyone here done that before?, how do they hold up?

Im a newbie....need help

Thanks Heaps!!!

Thanks Heaps!

PulsarGTI

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Forum Lurker
Re: GA16DE to SR20DET Swap
« Reply #1 on: 04 August, 2020, 07:02:52 PM »
Hey mate, welcome.

The short answer is to swap in an SR, you need basically an entire SR powered car as a donor. Engine mounts, gearbox, axles, loom, radiator and even little things like the power steering hoses will need to come from an N14 GTI. You'd be much, much better off to buy one of those as a starting point given how little they're worth now - and then you get things like a nicer interior and rear disc brakes with it too. If you're dead set on keeping your car, and you have friends who can weld, it would be fairly easy to turbocharge the GA16 - although you'll struggle to find a heavy duty clutch for it.

If you'd like to join as a full member, have a read through the build threads section - there's a great range of builds on there so you can see what other people have done.