Author Topic: Power loss in a P11?  (Read 14259 times)

Dan

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
Power loss in a P11?
« on: 17 May, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Hi guys,

It seems like P11 has lost a lot of power, I know that could be many things, but was wondering if there was anything I could check before I go too deep :P

Today, to check, I literally put my pedal to the floor, in 1st, and it took off like it used to in 3rd.. ??? once it hits 3000 or so revs it picks up. It seems like it's been gradual over the last few weeks/months...

Yes - I searched before posting ('loss of power', 'power loss' and 'slow') and I found a thread ( http://primeracarclub.co.nz/forum/index.php?topic=12825.msg176006#msg176006 ) about installing a pod filter, and after installation he had a problem with the car going slow 'till about 2500 revs... the only thig is, i don't have a pod filter, so I was thinking it might have something to do with my airbox?

Auto, SR18DE, 1997, completely stock...

Cheers, Dan :D

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
Re: Power loss in a P11?
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
Most likely culprit is a bung knock sensor or o2 sensor, or both.  Check for fault codes and go from there.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

smx006

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2011, 05:56:43 PM »
same thing happens to my car on open road going up hills, i have to change to 3rd to get up most of them as car loses power in 5th and 4th at 100ks and mines manual.

Dan

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:24:34 PM »
Thanks :) But I would have thought the check engine light would have to be on? If there is no engine light on then there is no fault code in the memory?

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
From memory knock sensor and O2 sensor don't trigger the engine light.

idontknowhow

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #5 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
I'm having a similar problem.

1996 P11 SR18DE Auto, 123xxx kms

Seems to choke/surge/hunt between 2500-4000 (ish) revs and struggles to pick up speed, expecially when under heavy load. Also seems to have under-average fuel economy, at a guess 1L/7.6km - 9.8km on city/open road. I don't drive my car hard or have a heavy foot (common fault for poor fuel economy, lol).

Have replaced spark plugs and fuel filter, slight improvement.

Recent trans service, rocker cover gasket replacement and oil/filter change, with 5/30 (was doing it before this).

Put through an injector cleaner.

Had been run on 91 so tried 95/96 with no change

Air filter appears clean.

Took for a diagnostic and no errors/faults (past or present) came up. Guy who did diagnostic suggested it could be coil/coil pack.

Don't believe it would be O2 sensor as it would happen all the time.

Any other suggestions/ideas as to what it may be? Has anybody had issues with coils stuffing out?

« Last Edit: 17 May, 2011, 09:16:49 PM by idontknowhow »

chch_p10

• Ham
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
  • i neither endorse nor condone illegal activities
« Reply #6 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:19:40 PM »
tried cleaning your afm? or cleaned throttle body up?

idontknowhow

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #7 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
Oops, forgot to mention. yes have cleaned throttle body, but haven't cleaned AFM. Would that cause issues under heavy load only?

R3SPCT

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
The economy of my daily is pretty poor, ive done all the usuals, filter, maf clean, plugs, removed cat, checked knock sensor, removed O2 sensor in tune, mixtures are mid 12's at full power, mid 15's at idle, and 14.5 to 15.5 at light cruise.  Yet it still averages 11.7l per 100km, which is pretty poor.  My turbo car could run 8 to 9l per 100km, and it didnt matter a lot how hard i drove it.  Turbo is more efficient, but i should be able to get this car down to 10l per100km surely...

I need to keep working on this, im sure there has to be a way.

chch_p10

• Ham
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »
can cause hesitation etc pretty easy to clean, buy a spray can of maf cleaner from repco, remove afm and unplug it and on the inside spray the filament but dont touch it with the nozzle and let it dry. easy as. it may make a diff or it may not  but ya dont know til you try it. you may notice a slight improvement in response or better fuel mileage

Dan

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Hmm.. interesting that it seems to be more common than I thought..

I'm planning on getting a pod filter anyway.. is it worth it? It's going in for a service soon to replace sparks plugs etc.. but thinking I might do it myself so it can be a learning experience :P

idontknowhow

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
Happy to give anything cheap and easy a go. Will give it a nudge tomorrow and post up outcome. Any other ideas gladly welcomed.

Spark plugs/leads are easy. just make sure you use the correct socket for plugs, and only do one lead at a time - stuffing the order up can be a major hassle and your car will run like a dog.

idontknowhow

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:20:20 PM »
So... today I cleaned the AFM (thanks chch_p10) and slapped a pod filter on it  :P

Has quicker acceleration and power pick up between 2500-4000revs, not 100% fixed but a definite improvement. Haven't done enough driving to comment on any possible improvement in fuel economy.

What I did was kind of dumb in the sense that I can't 100% be sure what has partially fixed the issue, but in saying that the air filter that was on it was clean.

Still has the slight surge/hesitation though. Any ideas on what that may be?

chch_p10

• Ham
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »
another thing to check is ya timing. it could be slightly retarded to much. if you are running 95 or higher fuel get the timing advanced.

check this out  http://primeracarclub.co.nz/forum/index.php?page=11

i advanced mine and it was the cheapest and easiest mod and it did actually make a diff. talk to ya local friendly mechanic ;)

idontknowhow

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #14 on: 18 May, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
I'm only running 91 at present, but getting timing adjusted wouldn't be a bad idea. Should I then run it on 95+?

Would this get rid of the slight surge/hesitation its got?

Who might be the best local friendly mechanic?  ;)