Author Topic: Bad parts...  (Read 905 times)

p11draco-u13

• Unpaid Subs Members
Bad parts...
« on: 13 April, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
Hello everyone,

I thought I should come here and tell a story about the parts supplier I chose for my Primera rebuild.

It started at trademe. (doesn't it always ;)

so hunting for nissan parts,  I came across a wrecker trading as "Thames09" I enquired if he had a "Complete" engine as mine was missing, It had been scrapped. ($60.00, a sad end to an SR..) Thames09 reply to question was "$400, 98000k".

I thought awesome. exactly what I was after, under 100,000k. 
When the day came to purchase the engine I messaged him for a number to ring and arrange the auction for "buy now". This he did and so I rang him, this is when I found out it was thames parts world I was dealing with.

While I had them on the phone and since I was also considering recapping or replacing my radiator (cracked and leaking) I enquired if he had a good radiator and some fans as my fans were dead.
He replied with yes he could supply a good radiator and fans. As a combo deal with engine he would do the lot, engine rad and fans with freight for $615.

A good deal for the k's on the engine, everything from one place... convenient. ok, I'm sold on that. sounds a good deal. so we arranged a buy now for the lot and completed the deal through trademe so they get their cut and everyone's happy.

Well thats were the happy ran out.

The radiator arrived first. nicely packaged in the box. good good. put that off to one side and await the rest of the parts.
The next day the engine arrived, on a broken pallet, but it was wrapped against the rain the country was having with lots of plastic. when I unwrapped it. the horror began, no dizzy, no throttle body, fuel lines crushed and bent. Not the complete engine I asked for.

After much complaining to my point of contact for the throttle body removed from that engine and stipulating I wanted the throttle body of the engine i bought and not some worn out part. that's exactly what they sent. the worn out part that had been sucking oil fumes for a long sticky time. sick of back and forth with them. i cleaned it up, and proceeded to fit the engine and complete the transplant.

Finally the engine is in and running. what a good day that day felt for like 30 seconds. no sooner had i filled the radiator i noticed little bubbles almost making froth in the radiator. thinking maybe its just settling, it did idle nicely no apparent stutter. the thought in the back of my mind was blown head gasket...

so i shut the bonnet and went for that first spin. I ran up the rd and back home. came home lifted the bonnet and saw steam and rad water leaking out from more cracks than my original radiator. oh the colourful language at that moment. :)

Frustrated beyond measure. not interested in thames09's dodgy parts I got the damn thing recapped, a cashy for $100. finally secure in the knowledge the radiator will hold pressure and water in. it was now that I could really assess the engine for a blown headgasket.

First I needed to make sure the fans were working so I got the question " how do i test the circuit for working fans" answered here  so i went out to test that and found only one fan works in the part i bought. great. but ones enough to run the car and test out the engine.

A couple weeks of running the car, 580k on the trip meter since engine fitted and ive had to refill the overflow bottle 3 times, and twice ive seen the temp gauge climbing beforehand. their are no hose leaks and their are still bubbles in the water when the engines running.

So id like to say thank you to everyone here for your help to get it up and running and forewarn you all that im going to be asking more questions later on as I fit a new head gasket.

so lets round this up eh?
Request: complete running engine for p11
supplied: incomplete engine, missing parts with a blown head gasket
request: Good radiator no leaks
supplied: radiator with more cracks and leaks than my own.
request: Working fans for radiator.
supplied: fans one dead one working.

to me, their parts are not checked. or they just sell any old rubbish regardless of condition. on my engine it stated "trok" in white wrecker marker pen. test run ok. bollox. any mechanic would see bubbles in the radiator and know its a blown head gasket, so they either dont check or sell rubbish knowingly.

PS. i will fix it. the cars to good to let it go now. fallen for the primera, too good a car to scrap.
but to all other members beware any deals with the previous mentioned merchant.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
Re: Bad parts...
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2015, 12:26:46 AM »
Get a TK test done. This will confirm if there is combustion gases in the coolant.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
Just out of curiosity, have you checked that all the coolant lines at the back of the block are leak-free and attached securely?  They could be letting air in when it cools down, which then gradually works its way through to the radiator as the car warms.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

p11draco-u13

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
I personally hate the wire clamps that are standard on most jap cars, they just cut into the hoses and causes failures later on. so they were all replaced with the band type.  After the first 100k's i did check for leaks and it had no leaks from any of the hoses.

at 600k i had to top up the overflow radiator bottle and again at around 1400k it again was topped back up to the max mark on the bottle.  at this point i decided it should have settled in/ down and should have stopped using water, but it hadnt.  I went and bought a bottle of K'seal, put that in and i have to say the hesitation in the engine has gone, the water bottle hasnt needed filling since and the car has since reached 4300k, since the motor was installed, with no water added since the last radiator overflow bottle fill at 1400k. except of course for the fluid content of the k'seal bottle.

I think next year, i will invest in a high quality head gasket and a +T addition.  so it only has to last 9 months.

for now. it pulls hard to 6500rpm :D and is most enjoyable to drive. 

PS. not speeding. just passing cars really really quickly :D

My real name is Lance

• Afroboltski/Lance
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • Air goes in, witchcraft happens, the car breaks
« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »
I'd hate to think what that stuff does to the inside of the engine, waterpump, radiator, and thermostat. If I was you I would be changing the coolant semi-often if it needs that in it!

Quote from: Cameron
Darryl, what would it take to RWD SR convert my QG18 bluebird? Ive got a mate with a angle grinder and stick welder, surely it cant be too hard

ElMatto

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Lance..... one of the guys at work ran a small engineering/mechanical business on the side.... had a suzuki super carry come in with a "bad head gasket".... They had been topping it up with just water for so long that the water jacket had rusted and while cleaning it it a fell apart.
He couldn't find a replacement head and the guy didn't want to spend the money.... so he filled the hole up with dev-con over and over and sanding it back....  It lasted 2 years before it had any issues again  :P
Current: Black B14 Autech, Silver P11 (roller rocker sr18de automatic fury!)
Ex: 2x P10 primera te, sr20ve VZR

ElMatto

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
But on a serious note.... Yeah! If you're having to resort to a pour in product like that theres something seriously wrong! They're only really a band-aid to temporarily cover up a problem... That stuff is like liquid glass and clogs everything resulting in more damage than its worth!
Current: Black B14 Autech, Silver P11 (roller rocker sr18de automatic fury!)
Ex: 2x P10 primera te, sr20ve VZR

p11draco-u13

• Unpaid Subs Members
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
:D cheers guys. Yeah I know any head sealant product is only temporary. For now. its lasting. the coolants still a nice green. its not using or leaking or steaming any out the exhaust. in fact its perfectly fine. right now. As i said before, I plan on adding a turbo to it next year so I will do the head gasket when i take the head off and do the 100,000k maintenance they like and rarely get. ( valve guide seals etc) the engine was spotless internally from what i could see in the coolant pipes before i fitted the engine. so later on, it will be flushed out of all k'seal as I do the head gasket. if their will be any long term effects  after 9 months  of leaving it in, i will find out then.

Now, I believe that they test ran and saw no smoke and considered the engine a good one due to the low k car it came out of. I however know that sometimes in a large sudden impact, say a rear ending or t-bone, that the head can get dislodged and leak after and gearboxes can fail. due to the sudden g forces put upon the parts in a car collision.

CC, ticked over to 352000k today. only 1600k till first filter change at 5000k. so its going well. (Z436HE recommended change at 5000k)