Author Topic: Bad DSR Turbo Experience  (Read 11482 times)

gtircrazy

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
Bad DSR Turbo Experience
« on: 02 February, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
Hi All.

I have recently been restoring one of our gtirs that we have. It has been sitting next to the house since 2007. My partner bought the car over 7 years ago with 70km on the clock. It now has 163km on the clock.

The engine was poked so i pulled that out and put in a new one imported from Japan. 180psi compression on all 4 Sweet!!.

Later found the head was alittle on the rooted side. So re-shim and found some second had cams. (Re-Shimming a gtir head one mission i never want to but probably will have to do again note: barry from mount smart mechanical helped me on this one. In fact did most of the work Good to have some one around who has done this job over a hundred times if you need your head re-shimming i highly recommend him)

Replaced power steer pump after that started leaking like a sive. The front main seal. The t28 Turbo rear seals had gone.

I bought a DSR turbo DSR380 I think they are called. Was told it would support 20psi at 270kw. After fitting it (they don�t bolt straight up as claimed small modification must be made) I went to tune it with my mate Paul. After throwing in some extra gas and taking out some timing in the map we started raising the boost pressure.. To find it would not spool above 14psi and power dropped of the the turbo ran out of puff at 5500rpm.. Not happy. Tried everything even pulled the wastegate actuator hose off. Still 14ps with a drop back to 10psi. It maybe the wastegate actuator spring being to soft and s**t, or the turbo is really really badly designed.

But when i got in contact with the owner of DSR he was not interest at all. Tried blaming the problems on the car and the tune..I explained to him that i had worked on more than enough gtirs over the years and know them like the back of my hand. And that i had people helping that are very experienced machanics.Along with a very good tuner. I also invited him to come and take a look for him self and i was more than happy to take him for a ride so he could see how badly his turbo was performing. He was not interested. Apparently not his problem the turbo does not perform.. Even though there is a one year warranty??  Not a happy customer.

I highly recommend you do not buy one of these turbos in my opinion they are cheap Chinese rubbish and everyone should stay well clear of this business. I thought i would give these turbos ago as abit of a trial and error and came out with the conclusion i thought i may come to.

Readers be warned. There one year claim of warranty means nothing.

Buy Genuine Buy Garrett.

Thank you. 

(p.s Joe I have your shims i will text you so i can drop them off)
« Last Edit: 27 October, 2017, 10:47:16 PM by more_fasterer »

Need work done on your car? Call MSM Automotive (09) 579 0828. - Best in the mechanical busness!

scribble

• Like no ones reading it...
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
Re: DSR Turbo Experiance
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2010, 12:09:38 AM »
Thanks for your insights into these.  I'd started a thread in the members section asking about these turbos as I was looking at getting one, so it's good to have 1st hand experience (rather than my brothers mates brother... etc).
I guess paying double for a proven design is better piece of mind.  Injesting a compressor wheel or nut will do more damage than the extra $500 it costs for a genuine Garrett.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »
When the vanes on my old turbo started rubbing against the housing i looked at these turbos. The seem to good/cheap to be true. Luckily thru a friend of a friend at diesel distributors i got a brand new garrett s15 t25 for $1100.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
« Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing Geoff!  Shame about the money wasted though :-\
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

gtircrazy

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2010, 05:43:39 PM »
No Problem.

If anyone is ever asking about DSR Turbos keep this example in the back of your mind. Would seriously avoid buying one of these turbos.

Geoff.
Need work done on your car? Call MSM Automotive (09) 579 0828. - Best in the mechanical busness!

JoeGT

• Treasurer
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Bad DSR Turbo Experiance
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »

Shame to hear it happened Geoff but my experiences with cheap turbos have been the same. Did about 3000km on a cheap T3/T4 trubo off TradeMe before I threw a rocker (and decided to check the turbo out at the same time). Both seals had pretty much disintegrated. I then went with a genuine Garrett GT3071R and never had issues.

Some part you can get away with a cheap version but high wear/precision parts I would ALWAYS suggest paying more to start off with rather than having them fail and paying more to get the issues that come with that resolved.

2RETTS

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2010, 09:52:03 PM »
Jeebs guys, don't just lie down & take it when this crap happens, you have rights under law.

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/faultygoods.html

It has to be fit for purpose & match description, here's what to do:

http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/complaining.html

Dodgy sellers expect you to go away but when you go at it like a pitbull it puts the shits up them.

boostnp11

« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
theres a guy down in dunedin called APET racing he sells this sorta crap Chinese stuff my mate brought a turbo oh him 4 an Rb20det laurel and the something wasn't right in the turbo core because you could move the shaft backwards and forwards and both compresser and turbine wheels were rubbing on the housings and the shaft wasn't broken and he did the same had a 1 year warranty and he didn't want to know about it he said it was "installer error"

scribble

• Like no ones reading it...
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
I guess that's the thing with Garrett, Holset etc.  You know it's not going to be the product that has a problem (99% of the time) so if something does happen and it breaks, it probably is because you did something wrong so you chalk it up to an expensive learning experience and don't do it again.  With the cheap turbos it's impossible to tell who's fault it is because the consistant quality isn't there.

I don't see how a turbo would have bearing failure after a very short use even if it wasn't primed properly.  Seized yes, but sloppy bearings?

Considering all the cheap turbo options won't honor the warranty unless done by a professional, you might as well spend what you'd pay in labour to get it installed on a better quality turbo and do it yourself ;)

base

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
theres a guy down in dunedin called APET racing he sells this sorta crap Chinese stuff my mate brought a turbo oh him 4 an Rb20det laurel and the something wasn't right in the turbo core because you could move the shaft backwards and forwards and both compresser and turbine wheels were rubbing on the housings and the shaft wasn't broken and he did the same had a 1 year warranty and he didn't want to know about it he said it was "installer error"

thats why no one in town goes there any more that and he cant tune very well i looked into it last year

crackerjack

• Needs an auto!
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: 14 February, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
I then went with a genuine Garrett GT3071R and never had issues.

I hope not  :D

Im pretty sure with these turbos, the garret parts fit inside them.... so a cheap turbo could be rebuilt to being a good turbo with garrett internals.... and I have also heard stories of people buying them, sending them to a rebuilder and having everything balanced and checked... often it is found nuts and bolts are loose and things are way out of balance... once this is done they seem to run ok...

But remember... you get what you pay for...

Good to hear Geoff that her engine didn't get munched by parts falling off the turbo as it imploded....

Paul
15.18@146.2km/hr - Meremere JN15 Pulsar VZR
14.66 - Meremere HP11 Primera "Lithe" (driver)

boostnp11

« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
thats why no one in town goes there any more that and he cant tune very well i looked into it last year

Haha yep thats why i told ya to look some were else to get it tuned lol my mates took his rb20de+t cef in there to get tuned a while back and i blew up had detination on most pistons there a bunch of F!@Kwits lol and all there parts are shit aswell only good thing is he has a 4wd dyno
« Last Edit: 22 April, 2016, 12:07:13 PM by more_fasterer »

gtircrazy

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
Thanks for the links Clint.

I have now purchased a GT2876R (GT25/40) so that will be going on before the next night wars with an exturnal wastegate. Plus managed to get hold of a full brake upgrade as well. Dont have much to do on it now before it will be hitting the track.

Also raced it last night at night wars with the under preforming turbo did a 13.9 super gay.

« Last Edit: 10 October, 2016, 02:00:00 PM by gtircrazy »

P10racer

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2010, 02:45:47 PM »

Haha yep thats why i told ya to look some were else to get it tuned lol my mates took his rb20de+t cef in there to get tuned a while back and i blew up had detination on most pistons there a bunch of F!@Kwits lol and all there parts are shit aswell only good thing is he has a 4wd dyno
Interesting you say that as i know Nic and he's a top guy who has tuned a few mates cars with good results, as well as supplying parts to both me and friends without any issues with parts quality, yes you get what you pay for but if it had been a faulty component im sure he would have replaced it, his supplier would honour the waranty too.....As a mechanic having dealt with a lot of race cars over the years and  diognosed several faults regarding potential tuner issues it normally turns out to ne a driver / installer issue that has started the problem, every ones very quick to point fingers at tuners without any hard facts as to why!

Better be careful about your comments because it bordering on slander.     
« Last Edit: 22 April, 2016, 12:08:28 PM by more_fasterer »
P10'in in Chch

base

« Reply #14 on: 20 February, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »
Interesting you say that as i know Nic and he's a top guy who has tuned a few mates cars with good results, as well as supplying parts to both me and friends without any issues with parts quality, yes you get what you pay for but if it had been a faulty component im sure he would have replaced it, his supplier would honour the waranty too.....As a mechanic having dealt with a lot of race cars over the years and  diognosed several faults regarding potential tuner issues it normally turns out to ne a driver / installer issue that has started the problem, every ones very quick to point fingers at tuners without any hard facts as to why!

Better be careful about your comments because it bordering on slander.     

well ask almost anyone in dunedin about apet and you will get the same answer i take my cars to chch rather pay the extra to get the car right if you were at the local drags down here end of last year start of this year  most of the car were ture by apet all misfireing and soforth frfom what i gess his mates cars go out mint but cash jobs anit done well to get more business
« Last Edit: 22 April, 2016, 12:09:07 PM by more_fasterer »