Author Topic: Police radars  (Read 289 times)

u13turbo

• Forum Lurker
Police radars
« on: 13 October, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »
Me and a few mates were talking about this today, and i was just wondering how close a cop has to be to clock your speed? And do cars infront of police vehicles disrupt their radars?

EVL P11

• O.o
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • VVL coming soon..
Re: Police radars
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:13:06 PM »
I have a Valentine radar, love it to bits for many reasons.

From my many journey's up and down the North Island, I have learnt this:

Cops can pick you up from very far away. As soon as their radar can 'see' your car, they clock you. I think the furthest my radar has starting going off must have been roughly 1.5km's along the Himatangi straights.

And no, cars sitting infront of cops don't interupt the radar signal at all. Infact cops prefer to sit behind other cars as it blocks oncoming vehicles from seeing the cop until its too late.

u13turbo

• Forum Lurker
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:14:41 PM »
Thats exactly what i thought, my mate was trying to say they cant clock you until they 200m away....... and i also thought the cars infront wouldnt effect... cheers man

EVL P11

• O.o
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • VVL coming soon..
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
Sweet as. You might find Robbo will have an opinion too if he dissagrees with what I've said.

Lol @ your mate.

Sometimes, however, cops have their radar set to instant on, which means they won't have their radar turned on, or at a very weak signal, so that they don't actualy pick you up until the last second. Heading south into Bulls once, I went past 5 cops in a row all within 2 minutes from 1st to last cop. 4 of them had their radars set to instant on. Luckily, my radar is awesome   ;)

u13turbo

• Forum Lurker
« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
Haha yeah true, i hear valentine radars are good

robbo

• Administrator
  • Post Whore
  • First Turbo P12 20V
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
hmmm well without giving away trade secrets I can give you all this advise....

Have a Radar detector and get pulled over you can pretty much guarantee getting a ticket. Well fairs fair after all. Lets face it if you've got one it means you exceed the speed limit and that's pretty much the only reason you'll have one. I used to show no mercy and I don't think you'll find a cop that does. Funny how you can catch some pretty good speeds on vehicles that have a detector. I wounder why? Haha

As for "how far can they see you" well Laser is as far as the operator can lock you on. I remember getting cars at 400m plus on the motorway, Radar is the same and yes being behind a vehicle in front makes no difference to the traffic coming towards you.

And having either a Laser or Radar unit on standby means no detection from a RD, until you get "zapped" and by then it's too late. A good operator will never drive around with the unit on all the time cause what  would be the point? You wouldn't catch anyone.

IMHO you better off spending you money on something more worthwhile, than a flash Radar detector. They should be banned

u13turbo

• Forum Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Cheers for that robbo, What about traffic going the same way as a cop? say a cop is behind you and your going 120 can there radars tell that?

EVL P11

• O.o
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • VVL coming soon..
« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
Apart from the fact you'd be pulling away from the cop?

Yes, they can tell.

I only have a radar on the off chance I catch myself speeding. Normaly when it goes off I'm already doing between 104-107 I hardly step over 115 and thats mainly when overtaking. It's purely for those long boring straights when your mind wanders and you stop focusing on your speedo. I don't have cruise control after all.

I've had 3 speeding tickets in my life, 2 have already had the points back onto my license (thank you teenage years) and one in my primera for doing... 111... yup.. going down a hill, in 5th, not on the accelerator..

Rabbit

• Follow the white rabbit......
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
  • Follow the white rabbit....
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
Yeh unless it's a valentine and even then they are almost useless nowdays.....in Oz they are illegal.

I got done doing 60km (actually 61 - she crossed it off and changed it to 61 - i should have disputed but lost the ticket) and a week later got done the same downhill road doing 55 (van parked) in a 50km zone -and NO it wasn't a school zone it was like 100m or more before as i was slowing down from 56 to 50 for the school zone.

So yeh was anoyed about that - YAH just over 2 years ago.....the only other 1 i got was 80km in a 50...yeh i deserved that one....

Basically try keep it to the track lol - not that i can talk but i tell ya there is so many cops around these days it's not worth it - and since my car has tints and exhaust ill get a ticket for anything.....oh well

:)
Follow the white rabbit....

expletive

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
  • EX NOIZEE
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
i've got a beltronics radar. 360 degree detection. 2nd to top of the range when it came out. Can pick radar up up to 1km away. Maybe more. It hardly ever goes off though.. Its more for my peace of mind tbh..

Ive had 3 speeding tickets and they've all been in our 1.6 auto sentra :p
Two in my teens. 65 in a 50 en route to school. Lol. Running late. 127 on the motorway. That was like 2 or 300bux. And then 62 in a 50 when i was 21. Havent had any since i got my primera.
And don't plan on it. Suprised i don't get pulled over more often as my car is rather loud and people assume you're going faster than you are.
Ex: 1993 Nissan Primera 2.0eGT
Ex: 1992 Nissan Primera Te
Ex: 1998 Nissan Primera Te-V (NOIZEE)
Current: Surf - For Sale

PDU-NZ

• Mechanic/I.T Qualified.
  • Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
  • VE Manual Wagon Hamilton Crew
    • My Facebook - Add me
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:32:49 PM »
Cheers for that robbo, What about traffic going the same way as a cop? say a cop is behind you and your going 120 can there radars tell that?

They probably can but if the cop is behind you - then they will most likely speed match you.  If the cop has to do 120 just to keep up then most likely you are doing 120 as well.  Also its a good indication if they are doing 100 and you seem to be getting further and further away.
VVL is seriously Vroom Vroom Love - CVT-M6 now Manual.

robbo

• Administrator
  • Post Whore
  • First Turbo P12 20V
« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2010, 10:52:29 PM »

They probably can but if the cop is behind you - then they will most likely speed match you.  If the cop has to do 120 just to keep up then most likely you are doing 120 as well.  Also its a good indication if they are doing 100 and you seem to be getting further and further away.

Yeap it's called a speed check and our speedos are calibrated and the radars have what they call "same lane mode" so yes they can use it when they are behind you, you get the patrol vehicles speed, then the target in front. There is even a function to figure out which vehicle is travelling fastest approaching you. Handy when the 1st vehicle is doing 50Km/hr and there is a vehicle hooning up behind at say 80km/hr

EVL P11

• O.o
  • NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Forum Lurker
  • VVL coming soon..
« Reply #12 on: 14 October, 2010, 12:58:40 AM »
One day I hope the police have the technology for catching crims.  In Rotorua, I think the percentage of all solved cases is roughly 56%

It's rather dissapointing when no arrests are made when your own home has been burgaled..

robbo

• Administrator
  • Post Whore
  • First Turbo P12 20V
« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »
One day I hope the police have the technology for catching crims.  In Rotorua, I think the percentage of all solved cases is roughly 56%

It's rather dissapointing when no arrests are made when your own home has been burgaled..

Umm sorry but whats that got to do with Radars? Bit off topic isn't it?

fat mike

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Post Whore
  • BAAAAALLS !
« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2010, 03:22:39 PM »
They already have the technology to stop pretty much all crime, but all the damn lefties won't let them use it.

It's called a bushmaster carbine  ;D
P11 Eyelids - $65 for forum members - PM ME :)