Author Topic: Welding a lsd in a VZR  (Read 131 times)

Jason

• Hi There!
Welding a lsd in a VZR
« on: 06 July, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »
Hi, has anyone had any experience in welding up a lsd in a N15 VZR? Any advice or information would be appreciated,  I am totally new to Pulsars so I have a lot to learn.
Cheers

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
Re: Welding a lsd in a VZR
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
yes, but why do you want to do it I'm interested to know. There are only a couple applications where a welded diff is advantageous

Jason

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »
Dirt track racing. I have raced fwd cars on the clay for years, always had a welded diff in them. The VZR was a new car last season and I ran it with the factory VLSD, didn't like it.

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 09 July, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »
fair enough. its just like welding the diff on any other open diff front wheel drive car - being deep inside the gearbox. When I last did one I cut out some plates to weld inside the spider gears to spread the load. Easy but make sure you crank the welder up enough. The factory VLSD is junk and on dirt yeah welded would be the way go to.

Replace the roll pin for the diff spider pin while you are in there - if they break the diff pin wanders out the side of the gearbox casing and its surprisingly common.

Jason

• Hi There!
« Reply #4 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »
Hi, thanks for that info, especially the tip about the roll pin as that is something that is normally only learnt through bad experiences. Your method of the plates and plenty of amps on the welder is exactly what I used to do on my AE82 FXGT's.

I have no experience with VLSD and I was thinking I might have to weld something else apart from spider gears. Sorry for what might have sounded like a dumb question about the welding of the diff but I would rather do that than make a dumb mistake 😂

My 15 year old daughter has just finished her second race season in my old FXGT, in just over a year she moves into my class so I need to get this VZR handling better so she doesn't beat me.

Once again,  thanks for the help

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:13:21 PM »
all good. the VLSD is essentially just a coupling on the side of what is an open diff.