Author Topic: Pick A Part  (Read 182 times)

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
Pick A Part
« on: 31 January, 2019, 04:50:35 PM »
What's the deal with places like Pick A Part ? Yes I get how it works in general, but what about for components that aren't really feasible to remove in their yard ? You aren't allowed to take jacks into pick a part. Do they just sell off the easy to remove parts, and then what happens next ? The car gets crushed ? Thanks.

Adam-Eye

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Here for the food
Re: Pick A Part
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »
What parts are you thinking you're unable to remove? You can buy any part off the car, although do your research before removing something as something are only sold complete or are sold seperatley as individual parts even though they can't be removed.

They do have cranes there to lift engines out. There's never been anything I've been unable to remove at Pick A Part, sometimes it does have to be done a little rough due to space limitations and\or lack of equipment but there's always a way to do it. And yes wheeling an engine from the furtherest corner of their yard on their useless trolleys with flat tyres is a great time in case you were wondering! Haha.

Once they've decided the vehicle has been in the yard long enough or has been stripped of any saleable parts they remove it and crush it and it's recycled for scrap steel.

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2019, 11:02:08 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I guess I should go there and have a look. I was thinking of heavy parts like engines, transmissions, or parts that require you to get under the vehicle like a power steering rack, exhaust system, etc. I'm looking for a power steering rack, but I'm just thinking it will be a bit tricky extracting it from under the vehicle.

pTen

• NZPPCC Sponsor
  • Part of the furniture
  • SR20VET T4 P10 Under Construction
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
They are normally off the ground a wee bit, They have a crane you can use.