Author Topic: seeking advice  (Read 164 times)

taxi38

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Hi There!
seeking advice
« on: 30 December, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
ive got a p11 primera with a cvt m6... it drove to work fine but on the way back at an intersection the gearbox started slipping? revs were going up but speed wasn't let off the gas and went back on it and it kept doing it till i got home. have parked it since then just wanted to know if its worth a shot to change gearbox oil? will it fix the slipping? or ami better off looking at a new gearbox or even a manual conversion?

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
Re: seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
personally I would manual convert, or do a recondition of your gearbox. 2nd hand units are also getting long in the tooth and unless you have the skills to do the swap yourself then you still have the labour of removal and refitting.

A manual conversion is not an overly big job, a competent mechanic will do it in about 12 hours and the car will drive much nicer. Generally cost of parts is about $500-700. It is the cheaper option than a transmission rebuild, but then technically requires certification afterwards which almost nobody does.

And slipping of the CVT transmission is often the sign of terminal damage to come when the belt breaks.

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2019, 08:25:58 PM »
What are people's thoughts on putting in a regular auto transmission ? (I have no idea, I'm just curious)

Adam-Eye

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Here for the food
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
If you have an sr20DE then technically you could fit a standard Auto but there would be quite a bit to change, like the engine loom, ECU and shifter + cables. It would almost be a similar job to doing a manual conversion (minus fitting a clutch pedal). If it's an SR20VE then a standard auto is a no go as the SR20De has the trans computer built into the ECU and the SR20Ve has a separate computer to control the CVT.

slothy

• Hi There!
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2019, 12:30:31 PM »
I'll be manual converting my P11 Primera CVT soon and will have a spare CVT if you're keen on purchasing. 270k km  so quite high, but still runs great.