Author Topic: Primera P11 power steering leak + play on right hand side  (Read 393 times)

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
Primera P11 power steering leak + play on right hand side
« on: 22 December, 2018, 05:52:32 PM »
So my trusty P11 just failed a warrant due to two problems. The first one is a power steering leak, this seems to be coming directly from the power steering gear itself. The second problem is that there is too much play in the steering with respect to the right hand wheel.

I'm guessing that replacing the power steering gear is going to be time consuming and expensive. I just have a moderate amount of mechanical knowledge and not sure about tackling major repairs like this.

Also my knowledge of power steering is limited. Does the fact that there is too much play in only one wheel indicate that the power steering rack is not the cause of the play? In other words the play could be due to something else like a tie-rod ? From my perspective the steering doesn't seem that worn (the wheels start to turn with only a slight turn of the steering wheel). However I will try and do a more detailed look tomorrow. Unfortunately the warrant guy wasn't that much help - and he had a long queue of customers so I didn't want to question him at length.

If it needs a full on power steering overhaul, then maybe it isn't worth it. But if I can tackle the leak with some of that stop leak fluid (does it actually work?) and perhaps replace some cheap component, then it might be worthwhile trying.

I'm wondering where I can buy a complete power steering gear ? Are used ones worth it - I'm just worried that since it is a big headache to fit it, I would be gutted if in 6 mths the replacement part develops an issue.

Please give me any comments or advice.

spannerz

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
Re: Primera P11 power steering leak + play on right hand side
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2018, 09:05:12 PM »
Where do you live?

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
I'm in Auckland.

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #3 on: 29 December, 2018, 05:18:36 PM »
So I had a detailed look at this. It is leaking a little bit out of the right side of the power steering assembly - I'm guessing the seal has gone. However the amount isn't that much, I haven't had to top the fluid up and the power steering fluid is still at the normal level.

It's hard to feel the play and it seems to be within the Nissan service manual limits. However inspecting the actual rack reveals that it does move up and down before it moves in and out.

Is anyone an expert in power steering, this seems to be internal wear that overhauling the rack with new oil seals / o-rings wouldn't fix. Can't find anyone that sells rebuilt power steering units - and even if I did not sure that the price would be reasonable. Not sure about one from a wrecker, might be worn out too and I find their claims about the mileage on parts fairly dubious.

A lot of places are closed until after the new year holiday, so I will think about till then. Anyone got any comments or suggestions ? Thanks.

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: 01 January, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
Depending on where in Auckland you are, contact Mount Smart Mechanical.

Pedro_272

• Hi There!
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
Hi i recently failed on a power steering leak.  Just changed all the hose clips (nissan) for repco ones .  Made sure they were all tightened.  This is all detailed on another post somewheres in this forum or another one.  Cheers

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
Hi i recently failed on a power steering leak.  Just changed all the hose clips (nissan) for repco ones .  Made sure they were all tightened.  This is all detailed on another post somewheres in this forum or another one.  Cheers
Thanks for the hints. Unfortunately the fix won't be as easy, as mine is actually leaking from the power steering assembly itself, not from the hoses. I think the hoses issue is pretty common though, so if anyone else has a power steering problem they can look into that fix.

I notice the power steering has an adjustment screw - seems hard to access though, and I can't really get a spanner on it to loosen the lock nut. I was going to try to adjust it a bit to see how it impacts on the play.

It looks like my issue is really a job for the professionals, unfortunately I foresee it costing a lot of cash, so maybe time for my P11 to retire :-(

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:06:41 PM »
CaminoDude, where in Auckland are you?

CaminoDude

• Hi There!
« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2019, 09:38:50 PM »
I'm in East Auckland, actually that mount smart workshop isn't too far. I rang a few closer places early in the week, but they all said they were busy and some staff were still on holiday, so didn't want to look at the job until next week. I will probably give the Mount Smart guys a call.   

grim_reaper

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
Not sure if Barry still works at Mt Smart Mechanical, but there isn't anything worth knowing about Primera's that Barry doesn't know.