Author Topic: Peoblems with p11 primera  (Read 311 times)

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
Peoblems with p11 primera
« on: 09 November, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
Hi everyone.

Im once back again.

Right,

So since i was last here i have had the vibration/shudder fixed - was a tie rod and rack end that was needing done. Greatly fixed and drives a dream again.

Anyways.... as ive said about the over revving in my past posts - my car went for a wof so whilst i was there picking it up i said to the machanic would he know what would be causing the over revv. He mentioned he noticed that and hes thinking something to do with the cooling system - something that its not going thru the throttle ( i could be wrong in what he said ). Would someone kindly from here have any indeas into what he was meaning??
If any one could help me out that would be AMAZING!! Too be honest id actually like to sell her but dont really wanna part with her but am wanting to get a newer car with less probs haha!!!
But any info or help would be appreciated soo much.
Thanks again.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
Re: Peoblems with p11 primera
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »
So ive been doing some googling haha.

The top hose of radiator  is hot HOT , bottom hose cold. Temp gauge still normal even after driving for a few hours it doesnt change. Engine smells like shes getting quite hot. Heater warms up and gets hot also.

When i changed radiator - i had flushed it but didnt do a flush for engine? Possibly could be reason? Do know the over revv was around when old radiator had a crack in it, so maybe has picked something up and clogged? After car been driven for a while strut brace and other parts of engine is extreamly hot and have a smell of coolent as if leaking but no leaks at all... thinking could be thermostat , clogged radiator?
Any help would be great..

Cheers

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Sorry bottom hose extreamly hot as well lol not cold

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:46:40 PM »
generally the top hose will feel bloody hot, its going to be circa 90 degrees, and then the lower will be a lot colder, perhaps 50 degrees depending on several factors. If the thermostat isn't opening then the lower hose will be quite cold, the top hose hot and the engine will be hot.

what are the revs doing? There is a coolant passage through the throttle body and when this is cold a little valve actuates the throttle open a little to raise the idle on a cold engine. When hot this valve should allow the throttle to close normally.

The thermostat is easily tested - by removing it and put in in a pot of water on the stove. It should open at 82 degrees and open by around 8mm then when cooling down it should close fully too. Beside the thermostat is a little bleed screw for the cooling system. If the cooling system wasn't bled properly then it can cause a few different symptoms but the engine will run hot in general.

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
    • NZ Primera & Pulsar Car Club
« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2018, 08:50:55 AM »
Everything you've described about the cooling system and the heat in the engine bay is normal. I don't see any reason to suspect a problem with the cooling system, based on what you've described.

The way you've previously described your car holding its revs high (e.g. When it should be returning to idle) sounds to me like the throttle cable or the throttle position sensor aren't adjusted properly.

If you're on Facebook, I'd suggest joining our club's Facebook page and asking if a club member in your area can look at it for you.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »
Hi.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Lol its quite hard to explain but will do my best.

When car is started in morning she revvs up to around 2000ish rpm maybe 2500rpm so i let her idle and warm up - revvs drop to around 1000 - 1500 then wen i go down my drive and go to pull out i put clutch in and she revvs up to 2500 (sometimes i hav to wait til she drops down to at least 1000) and drive off then i have a speed bump down my st so as i get to that i have to put clutch in again and thats where she does revvs again so i get to the end of my st and come to a full stop and wait for revvs to drop again - then i can drive again ( sometimes i have to come to a complete stop for her to drop her revvs). I could be driving and as changing gear i can hear and see her revvs are holding or even whilst driving it feels as if shes got some jerkin going on lol so at times whilst driving ill put clutch in and see where her revvs are as when doing 50k her revvs can b quite high like around 2000ish revvs (not sure if thats how it shud be) but when i put the clutch in to see when driving she can bounce up and down between 1500 - 2500 so thats where i sometimes have to pull over to side of rd and completly stop and shell drop revvs down too around 800-900revvs and then i drive off again lol. Even when car has been driven for a few hours and is hot she can do the same. When my car went for a wof the other week i said to the guy if hed know whats causing the over revv he said something about the cooling system and i have absolutley no clue - top radiator hose extreamly hot - bottom hose just as hot. Can smell warm/hot coolent as if its leaking but cant see any leaks. Temp gauge sits half way normal,
Shes had starter motor replaced
Clutch fluid drained and replaced
Throttle spryed and cleaned out
The air flow sensor changed - thingy that sits on top of the air intake pipe?
Radiator changed and new coolent
Tie rod and rack end replaced

This over revv sorter seemy started when i had a crack in my radiator

Have noticed that i have lost a little bit of coolent from top tank again

Hope this makes sense haha!!
Let me know and if u need more info ill try best to answer.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2018, 09:03:36 AM »
Thanx More-faster.
Im not on facebook sorry,
The car gets really hot and can smell how hot she is getting and also smelling coolent as if its leaking but cant find any leaks tho top tank is missing some coolent

Was told by guy who did my wof - something to do with cooling system - not sure in what he was meaning tho.

Maybe i might just need to put car in and see if they can find whats causing this. We have another primera and that one hasnt played up what so ever - shes just currently off the road atm.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
Could this be a pcv problem?
Ive taken that hose off and replaced it with a new one - but what ive see is maybe the part that goes inside the rocker cover oart cud be the part that needs taking out and cleaned or replaced?

Maybe a visit to a machanic to be looked at could be easier just dont really have the money for that hence me being here asking questions to try fix myself who def isnt a machanic haha

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #8 on: 24 November, 2018, 04:20:22 PM »
Ok,

Have just been told i have a faulty PCV. Does anyone know where i can get one from haha.

Thanks

more_fasterer

• Gravel thrasher
  • Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • VZ-Rally Pulsar build in progress...
    • NZ Primera & Pulsar Car Club
« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »
Try Brendan from PTen Developments, our club sponsor for parts... sales@pten.co.nz.

If the PCV valve doesn't resolve it, then I think your throttle body needs to be looked at closely. Cleaning it can create a situation where it doesn't seal properly when it's closed, and if it's been refitted improperly then that could also be holding the throttle open. The cooling system sounds like a red herring to me.
Kieran: thank you for being amazing... Have my babies.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »
Thanx more-faster. I have sent brendan a email.
From what i was told the pcv valve is faulty so hopefully thats the porblem im having - im awaiting to hear back from repco also.

Now if it is the throttle body - where can i get a new one lol? The throttle body was cleaned out - was sprayed and wen car was turned on was burnt out ( if that makes sense ).

Thanks so much for the help. I appreciate it

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2018, 12:40:51 PM »
Sorry that should have been more-fasterer haha!

Thanks for the info of getting intouch with brendan.
Such alot of help.
Will start by fixing the PCV valve and seeing if its that, if not will keep searching to find whats causing problems but now being intouch with brendan he may be able to put me in the right direction if not the PCV.
Thanks again much appreciated!

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #12 on: 30 November, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »
I'd be surprised if the PCV valve was causing this.

Warm up the car first.

Try unplugging the AAC/IACV as per the brown plug in this post:
https://www.sr20forum.com/sr20de-technical-corner/167600-cleaning-aac-valve-%2Apics%2A.html

If the revs don't stay high with it unplugged it will need cleaning or it might be faulty. Ideally you would want the problem to be present while you test.

Next thing would be to put it into base idle mode and check the timing advance is correct and adjust the idle on the AAC/IACV.

No mechanic should charge you more than $80 to do this. It would only be more if they spend time cleaning or replacing the AAC.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #13 on: 01 December, 2018, 09:20:52 AM »
Hey gbwelly.

Thanks heaps for ur post. I will check this out and see. Though i hav to say, i can hear air passing/ coming out of the pcv valve?

The jerkin, over revving, smell of engine being extreamly hot is getting annoying - was told from guy who did my wof - to look at cooling system. Have no clue into what he ment - top hose and bottom hose extreamly hot when car is warm - so dont think its my thermostat and temp gauge sits just a tad under halfway looks normal. When driving in 3rd or 4th doing say 50kz can feel the car jerkin as if im puttin foot on gas peddle then off ( if that makes sense)  LOL! And when thats happening i tend to put clutch in and thats where see shes revving around the 2000rpm sometimes  an be at 2500rpm and will either need to come to a complete stop for it to come back down to 800/900rpm or if it doesnt come down when fully stopped i have to rev it a little and then shel bounce up and down then slowly drop down to 800/900 then i drive again but have also done that and can feel it happen again but sometimes cant get her to drop when driving. a bit hard to describe it - and was told from another person that if the pcv valve doesnt fix issue to maybe look at
 -Dirty or faulty air flow meter.
- Air leak in a hose or manifold gasket.
- Faulty injector..

It was said that my PCV valve is faulty when another person looked at my car last weekend i think it was. - something to do with spring ( i could be wrong ).

But thank you for ur comment and i will look into that also

Any other info would be much appreciated.

By the way has anyone done/replaced the chain? How hard/easy and what was price?
« Last Edit: 01 December, 2018, 09:26:31 AM by Kelzey »

pTen

• NZPPCC Sponsor
  • Part of the furniture
  • SR20VET T4 P10 Under Construction
« Reply #14 on: 01 December, 2018, 05:57:00 PM »
Hey gbwelly.

Thanks heaps for ur post. I will check this out and see. Though i hav to say, i can hear air passing/ coming out of the pcv valve?

The jerkin, over revving, smell of engine being extreamly hot is getting annoying - was told from guy who did my wof - to look at cooling system. Have no clue into what he ment - top hose and bottom hose extreamly hot when car is warm - so dont think its my thermostat and temp gauge sits just a tad under halfway looks normal. When driving in 3rd or 4th doing say 50kz can feel the car jerkin as if im puttin foot on gas peddle then off ( if that makes sense)  LOL! And when thats happening i tend to put clutch in and thats where see shes revving around the 2000rpm sometimes  an be at 2500rpm and will either need to come to a complete stop for it to come back down to 800/900rpm or if it doesnt come down when fully stopped i have to rev it a little and then shel bounce up and down then slowly drop down to 800/900 then i drive again but have also done that and can feel it happen again but sometimes cant get her to drop when driving. a bit hard to describe it - and was told from another person that if the pcv valve doesnt fix issue to maybe look at
 -Dirty or faulty air flow meter.
- Air leak in a hose or manifold gasket.
- Faulty injector..

It was said that my PCV valve is faulty when another person looked at my car last weekend i think it was. - something to do with spring ( i could be wrong ).

But thank you for ur comment and i will look into that also

Any other info would be much appreciated.

By the way has anyone done/replaced the chain? How hard/easy and what was price?

Cost of replacing the chain will be more than replacing the whole motor