Author Topic: 96 p11 having problems  (Read 298 times)

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
96 p11 having problems
« on: 26 July, 2018, 01:04:41 PM »
Hi everyone,
Im new to this.

Ive owned my car for roughly 5/6years a 96 nissan primera p11 SR20DE 2lt manual sedan with ABS.
Reccently started having problems... some fixed but have noticed for last couple months the car has been over revving jerking whilist driving and also when coming upto a stop / lights / or even a roundabout and will noticed the car revving 2-2500 then wil tap accelerator and will revv up and down and then will come right until you start driving again and find when changing gear that its still holding revv.
Reccently had alt/air con belt changed
air flow metre changed
Clutch fluid flushed and new
New fuel filter
Oil and oil filter
Throttle body cleaned out
New starter motor
Cant think of anything else at moment.

Have a slight crack in radiator slight fraction  to the right of the radiator cap but have sealed that but possibly could have a small hole in as still loosing fluid from top tank - have to retop up say every 2-3days :/
Have had car started without radiator cap on and let car warm up to roughly half way on temp gauge but no bubbles - as was thinking maybe a cracked head/gasket............possibly still could be?
No milky oil - radiator coolent still green.

Looking at changing radiator to another and doing a flush with new coolent.

Does anyone know where to find gearbox oil stick to check how much oil is in gearbox as have heard this could be a problem?
Over the 5/6 years ive owned car ive never done gearbox oil.

If anyone has any info in regards to this that would be much appreciated.

Spark plugs - good to have oil around them when have taken them out or are they ment to be dry ? as mine are dry when they came out

Adam-Eye

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Here for the food
Re: 96 p11 having problems
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:54:05 PM »
Hi,

Welcome to the Forum! Have you tried cleaning the IACV valve? This might not be the main cause of the over revving but could be related to it? Also how tight is the throttle cable? Is the throttle body closing fully when no throttle is applied? You could try checking the TPS is working properly by checking the closed and open voltages with a multi meter.

Replacing the radiator would be a great idea, it would be a shame to overheat and ruin a good engine for the sake of a radiator. :) Also might be a good idea to replace the thermostat while you've got the coolant drained too.

Checking the gearbox oil is relatively easy, there is a fill bung\bolt 1\2 way up the gearbox on the front facing the radiator. With the car on a level surface un do that bolt (a 3\8 drive ratchet\power bar works well) They can be really tight. Undo this bolt\bung and gearbox oil should just trickle out, if it doesn't you can put your finger inside and it should be level with the bottom of the hole. If it's not it might need topping up, if it does you could have a leak. If it hasn't been change since you've owned it then it's probably due to be changed. A good oil to use would be Castrol VMX Gearbox oil or a 75w80 is also another common option.

To change the gearbox oil undo the similar looking bung underneath the gearbox which is a 1\2" drive ratchet head size, let it drain out and then fill it through the top bung. Our gearboxes usually take about 3.2-3.5Litres of oil. Fill it up until oil slowly runs out the top bung.

Your spark plugs should not have oil around them, if they do this is a sign the seals around the spark plug holes in the rocker cover are leaking.

Hope this helps Adam.

gbwelly

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
Could be a combination of things, I'd suggest putting it into base timing mode and see where it naturally wants to idle. Ideally use a consult adaptor to do this, but I think you can also do this by unplugging the TPS, starting the car, and reving it to 3000RPM three times. Warm the car up fully first before doing this work of course.
Once you are in base timing mode adjust the screw on the iacv to set the revs to about 750->800.

If you are fussy you might want to clean the IACV, and check the timing too before you set the base idle.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:42:05 AM »
Thanks for the info, i will look into this.
Having a smell of gas but not all the time. Just started to happen over weekend. Would it be possible maybe having a small hole in fuel line which cud be causing revv jump and jerking? 😨😲😣

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »
Ok sooo, radiator has been flushed changed and new coolent put in. Seems to be working a dream!

Noticed when doing the raditaor that the throttle(accelerater cable) is loose. Would this possibly be the cause of the over revv? Hoping to get this looked at today.... smell of gas has also gone.

Thanks for the info

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
Lmao looks like talkin to myself.
Anyways.

Have tightened throttle cable....
Car doesnt seem to over revv as much since radiator was changed but seem to have found new problems.

It looks like im leaking oil from rocket cover... was wondering on peoples thoughts..i have googled to see how hard is it to replace rocket cover gasket and doesnt look too hard hehe. also what are the best sparkys to put in and also the same for leads.

By chance if someone could tell me what could be making the engine vibrate whilst in idle that would be great. I was thinking maybe a engine mount? But cant seem to see which one it would be.

I just want to have car running mint again so any info would be highly appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »
Rocker cover is what it should have said!

Red_DeVVL

• NZPPCC Staff
  • VE Powered '94 N14 SSS
    • Insta
« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2018, 03:34:55 PM »
Rocker cover gaskets are easy as. Spark plugs, just the correct spec ones for your motor from repco or supercheap are totally fine.

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
Awesome.
Thanks heaps 😄

Kelzey

• Hi 😄
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »
Just have a question as unsure in what to do.....
I had 4x new tyres fitted balanced new valves and a wheel alignment done at start of the week. Drove down motorway to see how felt as before hand use to shake bad at 80k plus lol but didnt shake at 110 after alignment but now only 4days lata theres a shake in steering at 100ks not intence but can def feel it. Should i go back to where i got tyres fitted balanced and alignment done to see if maybe need to be re balanced or aligned?

Any info would be great
Thanks

Adam-Eye

• NZPPCC Staff
  • Here for the food
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »
You could go back and ask them to check the wheels are balanced but it's equally as likely there's something else causing the vibration. Is the vibration predominantly through the car\seat or through the steering wheel? If it's through the steering wheel it's more likely from the front, if it's felt through the car\seat then it's more likely from the rear.

If it's not a balancing issue, I would be looking for a bent\buckled rim. If one of your front wheels is bent\buckled then you could try swapping them front to back as your less likely to notice a slightly buckled wheel on the rear, sometimes you can balance the buckle out with weights, other times not if it's too bad. Otherwise I would check for a worn wheel bearing(s), Loose front axle\cv nut (I've seen this more than once before), warped brake rotors, worn inner CV joint or worn axle hanger to name a few common causes.

Lastly what brand of tyres did you get? It is possible to get a faulty tyre or even just a poorly made tyre if it was a cheaper brand