Author Topic: Oil for Plate LSD (Cusco)  (Read 561 times)

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
Oil for Plate LSD (Cusco)
« on: 26 May, 2014, 08:21:40 PM »
Im getting a Cusco plate LSD over from Japan, and harder than that is finding some bloody oil for it. Every specific LSD oil is GL5, even the Motul FF, which is said to be the best. Nissan say do not use GL5 oil, it will wreck the syncros.

I know that GL5 is meant to be more slippery, and that the LSD GL5 has friction modifiers to make it grippier, but whats the case with GL4 for LSD, does it need to be specific for LSD?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Brandon

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Part of the furniture
  • Brandon "Snapz"
Re: Oil for Plate LSD (Cusco)
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
not exactly answering the question so much as analysing it....

MBL8 is an oil additive product to 'improve' oils. Its a fantastic products and one of few 'remedies in a bottle' that actually work

anyway its a graphite based product which helps with the lubrication of things (noisy lifters, worn synchros etc)

However it cant be used in LSD as LSD somewhat relies on friction to work effectively

So what im getting at really... is maybe just searching for an oil with a lower graphite composition may also be suitable for an LSD gearbox?
maybe this is the difference between LSD specific oils vs regular?
It still doesnt feel 'that' fast

sss4me

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
a lot of aussie guys use motul ff lsd 2. never realised it was gl-5 but. here's another (not cheap) option.

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/gear-oil-75w90hd/

this used to sell in aus via gccorp. probably worth emailing them and see if they still have any. its really good oil, alot a par-equipped boxes use/used this.

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=54_55&products_id=74
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2014, 09:33:11 PM by sss4me »

Athrun

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »
Everyone told me to use the Motul Gear FF Type 2 LSD Oil in my autech box with my Cusco diff.

So i bit the bullet, $200 later for 4L of oil and its smoothest gearbox ive ever felt. Shifts perfect and the diff is fantastic.

Car is daily driven and has done 5 track days and is still as mint as the day it all went in. :)

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I think Im slowly making sense of this all. It seems that LSD oil is just that because of a quantity of friction modifier. The friction modifier is there because without it the LSD can be too grabby and chatter at low speed turns. It seems I am able to run a normal GL4 oil, such as the Fuchs Supergear that I currently run and add a friction modifier (redline do one) to the point where LSD performance is to taste.

Ill have to break in the LSD (woohoo - 30 minutes of doing slow speed figure-8 pattern lol, Ill need a barf bag) so during that process friction modifier is def needed (ill just chuck the old oil back into it with some friction goo for that purpose) otherwise the necessary slip for break in will not occur. Once the LSD is broken in It seems I can just change the fluid and add the friction modifier if required.

sss4me

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Here for the food
« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »
just so you know what you'll get with the break in (lol)

Moles

• Unpaid Subs Members
  • Forum Lurker
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »
I've heard adding the friction modifier from redline etc doesn't seem to work too well and just ends up clunking and wrecking the rest of your driveline. I bought motul ff LSD and have it sitting here for when I finally get to building my gearbox. To avoid the risk of a poor break in I am planning to use it for that and depending what it feels like probably replace it with the same. I also read somewhere that it was only the early GL5's that are yellow metal and the modern ones are ok but I have no idea where that was.

yellowbits

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Hi There!
    • nzppcc.co.nz
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
Hi Guys I've just purchased a Cusco LSD and mfactory FD. Just wanting to know what you guys have found from experience in regards to oil for 1. break in  2. Run in once break in complete. 3. Do you change it every so many ks?
Thanks for any help

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

morrisman1

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
I have found that the penrite progear 75w90 is a good oil for them. No complaints. For break in I followed the kaaz break in procedure. You definetely need to have a LSD specific oil in for break in. With regards to change interval, its up to you really, but you probably want to change it after about 500km depending on the type of use, after that then it will last a good amount of time. Maybe every 2nd season racing, or 30,000km on the road.

A few people, myself included have found that the default setup on the cusco is too aggressive, they come set up as 100% lockup plate configuration. Callum restacked them to a lesser value, and found no negative effects of LSD operation but with significantly less chatter.

What is the appliction? tarmac sprints, circuit, motorkhana etc.

yellowbits

• NZPPCC Paid Member
  • Hi There!
    • nzppcc.co.nz
« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »
Thanks Cam.
Mainly used for club days at the track and some 1/4 miles. Hope to get I to some street spirits / hillclimbs.
It is a street car but mainly just take it to levels for a blat around the track.
Just straight LSD oil fine for breaking it in then doesn't need an additive like earlier mentioned?
Thanks for the heads up on the clutch plates I'll have a yarn to Callum about it

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk